Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're keeping the HOB filter, a backless hood is the way to go. Eheims are great filters - I run a 2217 along with a Rena XP3 on my 75. Keeps things nice and clean, and I alternate cleaning one of them every other month.

The XP3 is slightly easier to clean out (has baskets - unlike the 2217) but I can do either one in about 15-20 minutes. I think the Eheim might do a better job of filtering, and it seems the Eheim has better flow after a while (the XP3 tends to have its flow greatly reduced as the filter media gets dirty. Plus, the Eheim is quieter (but if you're still going to use a HOB filter, you will hear that over any canister).

As for the lighting, I have a $10 special HD light over mine, and it is great. I have the glass lids, so I just put the light on top of the lids, and put the hood over all of it. I use a 6500k and actinic bulb, to really bring out the dark blues and purple colors of my fish.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.