Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
lexi73 said:
Rick, Thanks ill take a look around...I've been searching the internet and have not found anything as of yet. I don't have the glass lids so i would have to buy them, thats why I had asked. Also any appropriate height that lights should be off the top of the water? i was thinking around 10in.

Thanks again
My canopy for my 55 gallon is pretty simple, but I don't have any pictures on hand. I used a 1x6 piece of wood, and it fits pretty nicely. Two end pieces are about 12" long, a front piece about 49ish" long, and two pieces for the top that are fastened on the inside of the side pieces. I put two hinges on it, and the front board of the top opens and folds back onto the back board. That make any sense at all??

Obviously, my lights are only about 4" (maybe less :oops: ) from the surface of the water, and I haven't had any issues. There's not much room in the hood, so I have to take it off whenever i do something in the tank, but I prefer to do that anyway.

My canopy for my 90 gallon is quite a bit taller, which is good and bad. I can actually do stuff inside the tank with the canopy in place. On the other hand, this canopy weighs about 3x as much as the one on my 55, so it's a PITA to take it off.

I don't have glass tops on either tank, but probably should. I don't have issues with evaporation, and have never had light issues due to water either. Your mileage may vary. HTH.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a shop light from HD in both hoods, so I'm not ultra concerned about corrosion. When it wears out, I'll spend another 10$ 8) The light in my 55 gallon canopy lasted about 3-4 years IIRC. It had some surface rust at that point, but I'm not that concerned about appearance inside the canopy.

I don't have any protection on the back of the canopy, they're just open to the wall. I don't recommend this approach, as it may lead to fishy suicide, but it has worked well for me thus far, knock on wood. No fans or anything though.

Glass lids would probably help with evaporation, prevent fishy suicide, and protect your lights. However, I've never been able to figure out how to have glass lids that I could open easily with my particular canopy. Maybe just the lids on the back 2/3's of the top? I've not had problems that make me want the lids at this point. Who knows, I might come home to a pile of fish outside the back of the aquarium now that I opened my big mouth. :fish:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.