Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Video description has the stocking list.
For the cyps, some have yellowish anal fins and some are more blueish. Is this a method by which you can sex them at this size?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The males will color up blue with yellow tails. Sometimes the tails will color up first sometimes the blue will show up first. You should put a piece of vertical slate on each end of the tank so the males can make a territory for themselves.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean along the glass, or jutting into the tank?

·
Registered
73 Posts
along the glass. its a crappy pic but really only one i got to show.

you dont have to just or only put them there but it is the best place, the two most dominante males will protect opposite sides of the tank and the females will congregate in the middle. atleast thats what mine do

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any suggestions on a centerpiece fish for this tank? Something different from the rest, maybe a little larger in size as an adult? I like Cyathopharynx but they probably get too big, and a male might not color at all without females.

Suggestions? I will be getting rid of the Tropheus.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The cyps will not disappoint once settled in. They will also bring your altos out of hiding more. I ould be content with what you have. Give it some time for the fish to grow and gain full size. Before you know it, it will be a busy tank with alot going on

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im so impatient :oops:

I have already noticed the calvus really coming out of their hiding places. Some color in the fins of the cyps too. One thing though, I got 16 cyps, and I feel like i see some fin color in all of them. Its pretty unlikely to end up with 16 males right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yea. I'm sure u got some females in the group. Depending on the lighting they might look different in the top of the tank than at the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cyps are starting to show some color - blues and purples in the fins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts