Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 75g tank and talked to my LFS today and he is suppose to be getting in some Ps. Acei in real soon and I would like to get some since I can get a decent deal on a group of them.

My current stock:
13 Demansoni's (Planning on getting it up to around 18)
6 Yellow Labs
1 Bumble Bee (will be re-homed as soon I find a place for him)
1 Blue Johanni
1 Female Ruben Peacock (also gonna be re-homed after she spits her fry)
1 Albino Sail Fin Pleco

With this stock so far do you think I would be able to add a group of 5 to 5 Acei?

He said he is suppose to be getting them in the next week or two so still have some time to think about it.

What would you do for another species? How Many?

Also while we are at it can you tell me if this truly is an Electric Blue as he was labeled when I got him? :-?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that is a Johanni then? He is the biggest in the tank right now and is really starting to show his aggression. Its nothing terrible since I have enough other fish to help spread it around. I am thinking about trying to find a new home for him also since we are looking for another species to offer a little other color than blue. Have enough of that with all the Dems

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Demasoni, Labs and 5-6 Acei would round out your stocking on a 75 gallon. I would however up the numbers on Demasoni to 15-18, you'll be pulling some as they mature and you will want to still remain above 12.
When you bought the Johannii, do you recall any yellow, similar looking fish in the same tank? Easy if it was a species tank. If it was full of blue, then you have a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, also known as a Maingano.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GTZ said:
Demasoni, Labs and 5-6 Acei would round out your stocking on a 75 gallon. I would however up the numbers on Demasoni to 15-18, you'll be pulling some as they mature and you will want to still remain above 12.
When you bought the Johannii, do you recall any yellow, similar looking fish in the same tank? Easy if it was a species tank. If it was full of blue, then you have a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, also known as a Maingano.
When I got him he was the last one left in the tank. I remember that it was labeled as Electric Blue Johanni, but see so many others who bought that and turned out to be the Maingano. Now that my male peacocks are gone he is starting to take over the tank.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
No offense, but that would be one ugly 'Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos' aka Maingano if it is. The lines are really muddy (vertical barring).

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My first thought on the picture before I read anything was Melanochromis interruptus.

Had one long ago that looked awesome when he was fired up - problem was, he was always fired up :roll:.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glaneon said:
No offense, but that would be one ugly 'Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos' aka Maingano if it is. The lines are really muddy (vertical barring).
None taken, he did look alot cleaner when he was a juvie. Now that he is older and maturing I noticed that myself. He was labeled as a Melanochromis johannii when I had gotten him and noticed that lines of other Johannii had the same look to the barring. So maybe he is actually just that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
In a 75 you want about 4 species of mbuna. So dems, yellow labs, Acei, and then your johanni, so you will need more females for him
I would stick with 3 species if one of your species is Dems :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts