Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased about 13 peacocks cichlids from <vendor name removed> about 2 weeks ago. Everyone is getting along extremely well. It is not all males. I was curious if there was any insight to if I should try and add more before they grow up if aggression is certain. Or if just watching them grow and move accordingly would be best. My hope was to eventually put in 1-2 more gaps as kind of the centerpieces. But I really am very happy with my current stock and their personalities. So I am mostly just curious if there is a consensus that aggression is inevitable and maybe I should just get a few more peacocks and watch everyone grow. (This has been my first time keeping African cichlids) Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Do you want an all-male tank?

Malawi ideally are in harem groups with 1m:4f of each species. Problems if you keep Malawi with not enough females:
1-males will kill females by constant chasing to spawn
2-peacocks will cross breed, so you will have unwanted hybrid fry
3-males may kill each other by constant chasing them AWAY from the scarce females

If you can ID the females now I would put them in a separate tank (don't sell or give away) and buy your male haps and peacocks NOW. You don't want to add one-two fish because the existing residents will gang up on the newcomer and may kill him.

If you want mixed gender, choose one peacock species per tank because they crossbreed and once mixed, you will not be able to ID the separate species. Plus unwanted hybrid fry. Think in terms of 4 species in a 75G. For the other species, choose haps or peaceful mbuna like yellow labs and acei.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not really have a preference on all male or not. I would like to have a bit of a variety tho so perhaps my hands are tied in that regard. And in terms of sex I can at least safely say 4 are males. And 5 are almost certainly female (3 OB, 2 red Jacob) the 2 males are one of each and then an Apache and fireblood. There are 2 more fire blood that I am unsure. And a male sunshine peacock.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
So for all-male (max variety) remove females and duplicates and any males that look alike. It is hard to find 12 peacocks that look nothing alike. Consider adding haps to get your numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have successfully removed the obvious females, and am down to 14 Haps/Peacocks. Everyone is back to happy and hungry all the time. Also rescaped a bit to make more room for swimming. Everyone seems to love it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What size are the fish currently?

Also, just be warned. Although an all male tank may be peaceful at the moment, that can change drastically at the drop of a dime. Mine was very peaceful for months, then one hap turned into a terrorist lol. I then removed him, and then another took over... removed him, and then another took over. I removed him and added a few more fish and now it's extremely peaceful.. but I'm expecting that to change lol.

I've been pretty patient and it's been worth it, the tank is gorgeous.. but I think I would have considered a mix tank for peace of mind. Again it's been worth it, just sharing. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
It's a good idea to expect two years of tinkering to achieve a peaceful tank with luck and patience.

·
Registered
641 Posts
What size tank? In my 180gal all male peacock/hap tank when they approached adult size about half turned ballistic one after another. Had to keep taking the trouble ones to the pet store. Bought some more peacocks/haps, had peace for a time, then trouble again. It was an experience and nice while I had that tank. But sounds like yours are still young so you should have months before you have war in your tank hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Well don't forget you can't ID them as male until they are sexually mature...so you don't have as long while they are still unsexed juveniles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My tank is 75 Gallons. And everyone but one hap is about 3-4 inches. And thankfully I do have some cycled tanks on standby in the event of an emergency. My LFS is also a 5 minute drive so anyone who may need rehomed it's a very easy trip.

·
Registered
229 Posts
DJRansome said:
It's a good idea to expect two years of tinkering to achieve a peaceful tank with luck and patience.
And that's a big amen! And don't think for a minute just because something does or doesn't work in their tank, it will or won't work in yours. It's a lot of trial and error. All male tanks are work for sure, but worth it, to me at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts