Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
MJCanAm said:
MJCanAm said:
Just wanted to share my setup with everyone and see what the experts thought of my tank.
Here's a video of the tank;
That's great!, I wish my fish were out and about like that. They are still young so I'm hoping they'll get that way. Very nice tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great tank!
I'm no expert, but if you have the ability to make more hiding places, I'd do it.
My Mbunas are as active as yours, but they all have their own space when they want to hide.
I think it comes down to this:
Your tank is beautiful and clear with evenly spaced decor, and you can see your fish all over the place. (That's cool because Mbunas are pretty, and fun to watch.)
However, if you want your tank a bit more like their natural environment, you may have to give up your tidiness for a more cluttered, crevice-filled mess ;)

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Adding to that, the fish like tighter spaces.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Looks great!!! What if you have to net a fish?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It would be a big change and probably less attractive. I make 3 piles so that I can insert a divider between 2 of the piles. I then shoo the fish to the divided pile and remove the rocks in that section.

I never let the rocks touch the glass or sides and keep one Python-width of substrate between rocks and glass for ease of weekly vacuuming.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
All. With so many tanks maintenance gets done more often if it's easy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DJRansome said:
It would be a big change and probably less attractive. I make 3 piles so that I can insert a divider between 2 of the piles. I then shoo the fish to the divided pile and remove the rocks in that section.

I never let the rocks touch the glass or sides and keep one Python-width of substrate between rocks and glass for ease of weekly vacuuming.
2 weeks later I'm starting to wonder if this setup is sustainable. While I like the look, I think nitrates are going to be a problem as I can't really vacuum much sand and poop is starting to build up in certain crevices (unless I were to take the rocks out almost weekly to do a deep clean with the python). Do you think your 3 pile method in a 75 gallon will leave me with enough caves for the fish to still feel comfortable or does that only work in longer tanks? Or do you have tips to make this work and keep nitrates at a appropriate level as I am enjoying this design and the fish seem to as well. (I currently have 2 canisters with a combined 790gph).

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
3 piles will work fine. But before going to such a drastic change...try a turkey baster to blast debris out of the rocks. Also run the python on "fill" to get a bigger blast to stir things up and then vacuum...then refill.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts