Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am about to start stocking my 75g peacock/hap tank. Here is the list I have so far, everything I get will be about 1.5-2.0 inches.

1. Red Fin Borleyi
2. Aulonocara Koningsi Mbenji
3. Dragon Blood Peacock
4. Aulonocara Kandeense Blue Orchid
5. Otopharynx Tetrastigma Intermedius
6. Protomelas sp. Steveni Taiwan
7. Aulonocara Maylandi sulfur head
8. Aulonocara stuartgranti Undu Reef
9. Aulonocara sp. Lwanda
10. OB Peacock
11. Sunshine Peacock
12. Aulonocara German Red
13. Aulonocara stuartgranti Ngara
14. Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Otter Pt.
15. Aulonocara hansbaenschi Red Shoulder
16. Red Sun Peacock

Tried the best I could to get variety in appearances to keep aggression down and may add a couple more juveniles since I know I would undoubtedly have to make some removals down the road.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Not sure what you asking, not sure what you think would be a bad mix of Aulonocara, since there are so many similar fish, you are basically just trying to pick one of everything. There is no magic trick to avoid aggression here, just hope that the fish color up and co-exist for awhile. Be aware that the hybrids might be more dominant. A. maylandi and kandeese are almost the same, and are poor choices to color up in this tank. A German Red, Sunshine, Red Sun, maybe Red Shoulder all vary on what they actually are based on the source, and are similar. The hybrids are wild cards, hard to predict actual color and temperament.

Some non Aulonocara or non hybrids you could choose from could be C. azureus, O. lithomates, P. electra.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I found borleyi to be too big for my 75G...I like them much better in my 72" tank.

Many recommend limiting to one jacobfreibergi/tank...the Lwanda is a jacobfreibergi.

For a 75G all-male I found 12 individuals <= 6" at maturity to work well.

I am surprised anyone claims to be able to sex 1.5" fish...even 2" fish.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Get a 72" and save yourself a bunch of headaches if you are set on all male. In a 75g I would do a mixed gender of 4 very different looking species.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well shoot that's the first I've heard of this. I feel like I've done a considerable amount of research and figured a 75g male tank would work. Thanks for the adivce, I'll keep researching before I start stocking.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Chris's Cichs said:
Well shoot that's the first I've heard of this. I feel like I've done a considerable amount of research and figured a 75g male tank would work. Thanks for the adivce, I'll keep researching before I start stocking.
My opinion from my experiences. There are always exceptions of course. Long term when all the fish reach adult size you'll wish you had a 72".

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
72" always gives the fish more room, but you can make a 75G work for all-male if you choose the species carefully and are willing to swap out fish for a year or two until you achieve a peaceful tank.

I only switched to a 72" tank to accommodate the borleyi which is a favorite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts