Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry for starting two threads but I'm planning starting a long term 75g African tank this summer. I'd like a large variety of color, I'm thinking either a all-male Hap/Peacock tank, or a few pairs with maybe two groups of smaller mbunas. Maybe three pairs and two groups? I haven't decided yet. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I'm stuck on filtration. I've seen that the recommended GPH turnover is 5-10x the tank gallonage, so 350-700gph for my tank. Well I'm looking at all the filters, all brands, canister and HOB, and trying to decide what I want to do. I like the idea of a canister filter, but they're spendy, I mean for the price of one Fluval 405 (285gph), I could buy two Aquaclear 110s (1000gph). What would you guys do?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would buy 1 canister and 1 HOB. Maybe a fluval 205 or 305, using the foam pad and all the trays filled with biomax, and a fluval C4 or aquaclear HOB.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you mind going through why I should fill all trays with just one media? Like I totally believe you, I'm just curious why? So maybe a Fluval 205 and an Aquaclear 70? That would give me 585gph per hour.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i would think he is suggesting the canister be mostly bio filtration(all the biomax in it) and the HOB ac/c series for mech filtration i've seen alot of ppl suggest this

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had mixed peacockc/hap, mixed mbuna, species tanks, etc and the most satisfying for me, to date, is my all male peacock/hap tank. It's pricey stocking an all-male tank, but totally worth it in the end. The variety of colors and patterns in male peacocks/haps is truly remarkable and breathtaking. I try to add 2-3 fish every now and then to increase the numbers so I didn't have to buy 15 $30 fish at once.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed, I had a 55g with about half a dozen young adult males until it crashed while I was on vacation, great tank. Maybe four-six male gaps/peacocks, and two groups of smaller mbuna? Or like four trios? Are there any peacocks or haps that are well-known for showing a lot of aggression towards mbuna?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have mixed species 75g with an Emperor 280 HOB and Rena XP3. For the past 3 years I've had the following all thrive and continue to grow together:
1 Frontosa -very docile and is the most impressive
1 Olivaceous - very secretive but plays nice with others
2 Ps Acei (breeding pair) - typical acei's swim in mid to top and almost ignore the other fish
1 red shoulder peacok - very passive
1 Electric Blue Fyrei - tank boss, he is the dominant fish
2 Yellow Labs - much the same as acei's
2 female red shoulders - same as red shoulder
1 Hap sp 44 (who is the most aggressive but thankfully because he's relatively small compared to the others is kept well in check)

and 1 Acei fry about 1.5" who to this day boggles my mind how he's survived. It even swims willy nilly about the tank including in front of the frontosa without a care.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Since you have time to start saving up....Id buy all my peacocks at once and Id buy a FX5 with a powerhead. You can run another filter to have as a backup, thats up to you. But the FX5 is a BEAST!!!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I might also suggest there is a flaw in setting one filter up with only bio-filtering in mind. There is a reason why filters normally come with a range of media. If you think of media as strainers of a sort, the larger bits of debris need to be removed from the water before it gets to the tiny little pores of bio-media. If the large stuff gets to the tiny holes, it stops them up quickly. Many filters have media to strain out this large stuff so the bio can work longer without clogging. If one could get water needing mechanical filtering to go only to the mechanical filter and the same for bio filtering it would be fine but tanks don't work likle that. The intake just picks up the water in front of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts