Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post. This is about my 75 gal. Mbuna tank with L. fuelleborni "OB", L. "red top" hongi and C. socolofi albinos. Set up since Feb.'18.

The hongi are breeding, like hongi. The albinos breed, hold but I never get any fry.

The fuelleborni have done nothing but look cute. I thought I had all females so I bought a big beautiful male. Now wondering if I have all males. No spawning behavior at all.

What's up with the socolofi? Any ideas about this tank and breeding not happening?

pH 8.5, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates <15. Weekly 40% water change. Temp 78 F, feed diy herb food and nls algaemax.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Not sure on the socolofi...I did not find them to be slow to breed when I had them. Are they sub-dominant to the hongi?

I did find larger fish like my metriaclima and acei took longer to start breeding. Give the Labeotropheus some more time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The socolofi aren't subdominant to the hongi. No one really bothers anyone because the king of tank the big fuelleborni male doesn't allow fights in his tank. He's like the playground police.

The socolofi are breeding and holding but I never get any fry. I don't know how I would catch them to strip then anyway. I would like them to be like the hongi fry and have a few live. I have enough juvies now to sell locally.

I really want the fuelleborni to breed so I could work on some great colors. They should be old enough to breed. I guess I'll try and get some females.

Do you think the 3 different types of fish are different enough that I can say the fry are definitely a certain type? Thanks for answering.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
The combination you have should be as safe as possible to avoid cross breeding.

What is surprising is not that no socolofi fry live, it is that any fry live at all. To save fry you would remove holding females.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fry live because I put some fake plants in the tanks where there are little caves too small for the larger fish to get in. The babies hide there and I make sure I have small enough food for them that I wave into the rocks. Also they graze on the algae on the fake plants. A few live. Getting them out will be a different matter. I'm just going to use the old diy water bottle trap.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts