Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am a newbie in the cichlid world and i need advice about stocking my 75 gallon aquarium.
For now i have 7kg of ceramic rings on the top head filter of the tank + filter floss , my powerhead moves about 1200 l/h and the jebo aquarium is 120cm L*46cm W* 50cm H , i am planing to get sand used in pool filtration (sio2 sand as stated on the 25kg bag " astralpool" brand,not sure about the thickness of the sand layer or if it's possible to use medium granulometry gravel !!!.
I am planning to use dark slates (ardoise in french language) to build caves and traditional terracotta triple tube like caves and medium size pots combined with 3 stones that reacts with acetic acid ,i suppose they wil raise the pH.
The fish must live happily and longer, also i'd like some advise on the decor and the substrate.
150w heater would be enough ? In winter the temperature in my house is around 18c-20c .
I uploaded some pics of some of the available species at very low prices here in casablanca (Morocco), more colourful and expensive species are offered in fancy stores that i will visit sooner .
Based on the pics what are the ones that i could use to stock + the perfect ratio males/females , i font plan to overstock the tank even if i have 7kg of biomedia, the fish must liver longer and happier.
Any suggestion is welcome ;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Maybe there will be a better selection at the more expensive stores? It is worth extra $$ at purchase to get quality fish. There are several in those pictures that I would avoid and some that I can't tell what they are. Look for a vendor that will sell you the fish with a scientific name at minimum and with a collection point if possible.

Since you are a beginner I would stock 3 or 4 species with 1m:4f of each and choose small peaceful species like yellow labs.

For decor look for fairly large 3-dimensional stones as opposed to flat slates and just jumble them together...the fish are happy with close fitting crevices between the rocks rather than constructed caves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the replay.
Yeah, the emphasis on quality is non existant in those 2 stores,i went to a more fancy one and a juvenil tiger oscar got my attention ,2cm long very healthy and extremely active ,so my first intention was getting this one for my 75 gallon tank , but then a shop owner adviced me to get 20 cichlids 3 to 4 species ,the price for each fish= equivalent to 2.5 euros,This is a wholesale price as i was told :),that's why i posted here to get your opinions.
Is it ok to get 12 demasoni + 8 yellow labs ?
I will follow your advice ,i ll get stones like the 3 ones that came with my jebo aquarium and build a network of caves. These stone have great amount of calcium carbonate.
Do you recommend a combination of 1mm sand and 1-3mm gravel or 100% sand?
Amber Artifact Bedrock Space Metal
Brown Amber Chemical compound Quartz Tints and shades

Brown Aluminium foil Food Foil Amber

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
100% sand, 20 grain. We use the sand sold for swimming pool filters here as opposed to aquarium sand.

Demasoni is a difficult fish to keep, no I would not recommend them until you have kept other, easier cichlids for a couple of years with success.

Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow labs), Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusties) and Cynotilapia would make a nice tank.

You want lots of stones...stack them and fill the tank to the waterline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duly noted , i ll look for 100% sand ,no demasoni (the one that got me exicited about keeping cichlids:cry:), yellows and cynotilapua are available here, i ll have to look for rusties + pilled stones .
Ok then. I will post pics as soon as i get the tank ready for cycling and fish in quarantine .

Thanks again for the valuable advice , have a nice weekend (y)

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Cycle your tank with ammonia and without having the fish in quarantine first. Allow at least six weeks before purchasing fish. Get a good test kit for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to navigate the cycle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes of course, i will never hurt the fish putting them in the tank while cycling, they will probably die from ammonia poisoning.
I have a goldfish in a 100 l fish tank , i could use some biomedia to speed up the cycling but there is ich in this aquarium and i am usin aquarium salt to get rid of it , i suppose if i use some ceramic rings in the 75 gallons ,it will be contaminated.
What i was thinking is buying the cichlids that you recommend , puting them in separate large plastic containers with air stones and cheap small sponge filters and making daily water change to keep them under observation for at least 3 to 4 weeks,if some ich or parasites are showing up then i will medicate.
test kit is a must ,i ll get that too.
now, should i purchase them while cycling the tank or not?

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Since there are no other fish in the main tank...you may as well put the new guys in all at once after the cycle is complete. Creating a temp tank with containers and air stones does not serve a purpose. You can medicate them (if necessary) in the 75G just as easily as the containers, and the containers will not be a healthy environment for them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you say so. That nasty ich got my sister's fancy goldfish suddenly anf violently twisting his entire body ...,it was a terrible scene to watch,as 8f he got epilepsia , serously i never seen a fish behaviour like that. Now i am thinking it twice before introducing any in my new fish tank even if the wholesaler in a trusted one.
I ll wait until the tank is cycled,but first next morning i will get the sand and look for the available stones on the market.
What are the minimum number of yellows and cinotilapia and the male female ratio of each one and the same question goes if finf also the rusties?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wood Tints and shades Composite material Symmetry Gas

The background that came with tank is "glued" by the manufacturer ,i think it's better to get a black background over this one(wondering how to stick it on the original without damaging it ?),and on the sides even if the glass is round on the corners of the front side,i will put the side background from the outside.
How about this idea?

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Not sure how to remove a background that is glued on, maybe check with the manufacturer. I would not put it on the sides.

Ratio for those 3 species is 1m:4f. So for a 75G with 3 species you could do 1m:6f. If you accidentally get extra males, they may be tolerated, but you can always remove them down the line if they cause trouble as long as you have enough females.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe , leaving the original background and pilling stone to conceal it .
What are the ratios for only yellows +Cynotilapia ?

Is the fish on the pic a cynotilapia?
Water Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Shoot for 20 fish after removing extra males. You might try 1m:4f yellow labs and 3m:7f Cynotilapia. The multiple cyno males may or may not color up, but it would give you a shot at 3 blue barred fish in your tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have another question about hardscape stones.
The next pictures shows some stones that came with aquarium ,i tested them with acetic acid (vinegar) and bubbles forms to the chemical reaction of the acid with CaCo3 ,I suppose it's suitable for cichlids and will raise tHe Ph.
Amber Gold Ingredient Cuisine Jewellery

The next stones are available in a shop.
Bedrock Formation Soil Font Wood

Bedrock Sky Grey Terrain Mountain

Brown Bedrock Rectangle Artifact Amber

I could also get for free some round river stones .
Handmade clay/terracota pots are also available.

Do you recommend using my stones in combination with the others ones and clay pot? Any advice is welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts