Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now in there I have
3 socolofi
4 hongi
2 bumble bee
1 blue crawfish
They are all about 1in I have 100lbs of honeycomb rock I will be putting about another 50 to 75 depending on the piece I find. My question is what else can I add I want color in the tank. I also like the black n blue look some have. Please give me infor I have 2 emporer 400

·
Registered
380 Posts
for the long term i do not know if whatt you have will work , but who am i to say... First I am wary of the crawfish it will either end in nipped fins constantly and then a dead crawfish when it molts and the cichlids eat it...Anyways I would say you should add up your numbers of existing fish hoping to add more females and then deceide on one more specieis...if you like black and blue you could go for maingano's ( melanochromis cyaneorhabdos ) there a sharp fish....the only thing with them is there the same family as the auratus...Think about dropping the auratus(bumblebee ) from you tank and it will drastically open up options

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I agree with shaguars. I would remove the cray, up the numbers of socolofi and hongi to make 1m:4f, up the numbers of crabro to make 1m:7f and add 1m:7f Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano).

I think the bumblebee is Pseudotropheus crabro...not Melanochromis auratus...am I correct?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yea you are correct on the bumble bee. One of my fav africans to keep so far. I had a blue cray in a thirty gallon untill I was sold a male keni, even tho I asked for a female zebra but I knew nothing really about africans at the time. But the cray did well untill the keni found it in his territory and he pulled off the feelers and a few legs and the poor guy even had its hard shell... as for the bumble bee if u like them but don't want to use up a lot of your tank space on them you could always try a single male... I have read they can be reall terrors. I am on my second one. I lost my first one, who made it to almost full size do to a parasite outbreak from a new fish. But both times the bee has been the domonite fish, but they have been pretty passive about ruling their spot.. but then again maybe I have just got lucky with the male bees. But that's my two cents on the bees.

·
Registered
79 Posts
wakeupplan said:
I had a blue cray in a thirty gallon untill I was sold a male keni, even tho I asked for a female zebra but I knew nothing really about africans at the time. But the cray did well untill the keni found it in his territory and he pulled off the feelers and a few legs and the poor guy even had its hard shell..
I wish my fish would've done that to the cray I had. He killed two fish in one day. Then he got kicked to a ten gallon by himself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There all bout 1in so when the bumble bee get big there be trouble. The crayfish so far has dug under one on my big rocks, so u think I sould get rid of him. I have not seen him bother them but then again I don't sit in front of the tank all day. I have a lfs that will trade for my crayfish he will give me a fish for him. I know y'all were saying 1 male and so many females but with them so small is there any way to tell what they really are. I'll be going to daves fish this weekend. So I hope to pick up some more fish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also I want to put red and yellow in the tank, I had cichlids bout 4 years ago and want to start again so any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I don't think you would want to add species if you keep the ones you have. Which ones do you want to swap out to get the red and/or yellow?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to add rustys and dolphin manda that's what it's called on the website I saw I really like the colors on these fish. So can I keep what I have minus the bumble bee plus a group of these 2 rustys n dolphins

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Metriaclima dolphin and rusties would be fine together in a 75G. The socolofi and hongi might be too rambunctious for the dolphins though. They are larger than many mbuna and more skittish.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
If you are just doing those two species, 1m:7f of each would work. Normally we buy unsexed juveniles and buy some extras so we can remove males as they mature.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to leave the ones I have in there minus the bumble bee n add the other 2 mabye some labs.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Metriaclima dolphin is skittish and may not be a good tankmate for socolofi or hongi.

Four species is a good number for a 75G. If you like the blue bars, you might find Pseudotropheus demasoni get along better with the socolofi. Not sure about the hongi as they are blue and have some barring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts