Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi getting a 75 gallon tank ready. its fishless cycling now wanted to get some feedback on my stocking list for it.
tank has 2 cascade 1000 canister filters. 4 pretty big air stone, 30 lbs of slate for caves might get more. 80 lbs of african cichlid sand mix. 4 foot led light white and blue, 300 watt heater and a black painted background.
my wife looks like she wants to kill me. this all started with getting my 55 gallon tank back up,it got really scratched some how so i shopped around found a new 75 gallon with stand and light for 250 bucks so i couldn't resist.

i have to order the fish online no place to really buy or turn back in fish so keep that in mind. they said they can usually give a good guess on the sex going for 1 male to 3 females. any ideas/help would be great :)

Cynotilapia Afra (Cynotilapia Afra) unsexed 4
Electric Yellow Cichlid (Labidochromis Caeruleus Lions Cove) 1 male 3 unsexed
Yellow Tail Acei Cichlid (Pseudotropheus Sp.) 1 male 3 unsexed
Saulosi Taiwan Reef (Pseudotropheus Saulosi) 1 male 3 females
Petricola Cat (Synodontis Petricola) 4

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What is your total GPH?

I think it would be REALLY hard to keep African cichlids without rehoming options. I buy 99% of my fish online but can rehome with a local LFS that specializes in Cichlids and/or auctions and other hobbyists. Join a club or regional forum. Where in the US are you...Members may have suggestions.

I would choose one blue barred fish...probably the afra.

To replace the saulosi, I would choose something that is not yellow or orange. What about rusties?

I would do 5 Synodontis lucipinnis. Note that with rare exceptions, Petricola being sold are actually lucipinnis.

I would do 1m:4f of each...better to have more females than less.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi dj 530 gph each canister is 265 gph i was looking at the rusties they look nice i can do that, live in southern ut we have a local mama and papa pet store could ask them see if they could give credit. i can order juveniles should i do that for all the cichlids instead and just get a few more of each? like 6 or 7 fish per species. the cats are 16 bucks a pop chances are they are not the ones that i want? how big do the lucipinnis get. thanks for all the info

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
You can get by with that amount of GPH...I usually like 8X GPH at a minimum.

What we do is order 8 unsexed juveniles if you want to end up with 4 females.

Lucipinnis is a great fish, I'd buy them. You can see in my signature I have them.

Are the names you list from the vendor? Note they don't have the scientific names right on the afra or the Synodontis or even the saulosi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts