Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank, currently stocked with 5 Silver Dollar and 1 juvenile female Texas Blue Cichlid. I have the option to buy an Albino Tiger Oscar which have become rare where I'm at. I bought the 75 gallon with intentions of making it an Oscar tank, but could never obtain an albino so i re homed the Texas and gave up on finding the albino. The Oscar is roughly 5 inches and my Texas is 3, would they be compatible in a 75g even when this size?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bad set up from the get go. Tank is too small, even at fishes current size. Oscar can grow an inch a month for almost a year. It's a South American cichlid that does best in warmer, acidic water. If you have a true Texas cichlid, H.Cyannoguttatus(sp)? It would like cooler more alkaline water. Tex, even a female can kill a bigger Oscar with ease. This setup won't work. No good for your enjoyment of the hobby, fish will suffer as well. You need another approach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That what I thought, the guy at the store (Fish specialty, not normal pet store) said they would be fine for the time they would be together, but I knew their water parameters were slightly different. I have a 150 gallon that my Tex is going in when my remodeling of my garage is done in a month or two. Just didn't want to pass on the option of buying the albino, but I guess I will have to until everything's done. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
'Blue' Texas Cichlid = Hericthys carpintis, (I prefer 'Pearl Scale' Cichlid as the common name for this species...).
Though they are not the same kind of thug as the 'Green' Texas Cichlid, Hericthys cyanoguttatus, this set up won't work. And, totally agree - the tank is too small, and these territorial and aggressive Central American beasts are definitely not a good Cichlid to stock with an Oscar. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the feedback. I knew it wouldn't work as a forever tank, was just getting advice if it would work until remodeling is done. But I don't want to stress or harm any of the fish so I will wait until remodeling is done and try to seal the deal on an albino then. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts