Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Tang community tank once before, I lost it in a relationship split, long story. I had some Occie shellies, Julies, Calvo and a couple Cyps.

I will hopefully be getting a tank again in the next few few months. I had initially (and possibly still do) intended to get a Mbuna set up. I've had them before also and enjoyed them very much. I do also feel that I have unfinished business with Tangs. So it's left me thinking....

I also have the curveball of the lure of Tropheus that keeps lingering...but i am perhaps going against that simply due to the obvious difficulties with them.

I just wondered if you could recommend some Tang stocks that could sway me completely. I want some colour in there, the Cyps can give that but if you can think of more, go ahead (my initial thought is Lelluepis, spent wrong no doubt).

I would want Calvus and probably Julies. Shell dweller also a must. I know there's a lot there I've already got in mind, I would still welcome ideas though to sway me back to Tangs.

I have also seen some tanks with Trophs on Tang Community tanks, is that really recommended?

·
Registered
189 Posts
What size of tank are you getting ?
There's loads of scope with Tangs, to many to choose from :thumb:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
75 gallon. Sorry, I put it in title but not the actual post!!

Nothing definite, that's what I'd go for if went Tang though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The cool thing about Tanganyikans is that there are these little subsets of cichlids that each fill a unique niche in the aquarium. For example you've got the shell dwellers, the sand sifters, the rock dwellers and the open water fish. But I bet that you already knew that. I just think that it makes for an interesting community tank. Just keep reading the posts in the Tang section of this forum and you will be swayed.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
TommyMagic said:
I would want Calvus and probably Julies. Shell dweller also a must. I know there's a lot there I've already got in mind, I would still welcome ideas though to sway me back to Tangs.
If it were mine, I'd keep it simple with 3 species.
Colour : Cyprichromis
Character : Shelldweller of choice, Goby of choice

Others would add a rock-dwelling/breeding species, but I lean towards simplicity.

-Rick (the armchair aquarist)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rick_Lindsey wrote:
Others would add a rock-dwelling/breeding species, but I lean towards simplicity.

What is un-simple about rock dwellers/breeding species vs. Gobies?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I think Lelupi will give you that Malwai colour - they can definietly rival a yellow lab.

Beyond that, tangs just won't have the colour of a malawi tank. Cyps pretty much need a flash or bright tank lights to show off their colour.

Tangs will surpass Malawi in body types and personalities though while giving some colour.

Altolamps are pretty cool. I post a couple pics of mine....

Black & white are colours, no?

Muzi gold head comp

You can get some really nice colours on julies: yellow, black, & hints of blue.

Hope that helps,
Russ

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
TMB60 said:
Rick_Lindsey wrote:

What is un-simple about rock dwellers/breeding species vs. Gobies?
rock dwellers instead of Gobies? nothing. in addition? simply species count. 3 species being simpler than 4.

-Rick (the armchair aquarist, who notes that a standard 75 should work fine for 4 species, but he's an understock sort of guy, so by all means get what you like, not what he likes)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rick_Lindsey wrote:
rock dwellers instead of Gobies? nothing. in addition? simply species count. 3 species being simpler than 4.

Ah...gotcha :thumb: I tend to lean that way myself......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.