Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I currently have in my tank...I think i need to get some more female yellow labs from what I have been reading.

Yes or no???

Also what else if any could I add that would make the tank better

75 Gallon

2 Bigger Yellow Labs 2 1/2 inches
2 Small yellow labs...1 inch
1 Blue Hap...2 1/2 inches
1 Cynotilapia afra lions cove
1 Otter Point Jake Peacock
1 Afra Variant

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Do you know the sex of any of your other fish? Also how big are they?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You could get rid of the afras, keep the numbers of the yellow labs and go for an all male peacock tank.
Just a suggestion...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I see I should get rid of the afra fish...that would leave me 7 fish in the tank....how many more labs and peacocks do you think I could add to the tank?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Generally in a 75g, you can have 4 species with 1m, 5-6 f of each. This is a 4ft long tank?

An all-male species tank is quite difficult and require a lot of work--just so you know before you get into it. Some males won't color up all the way. You have to be careful of what species you get, and even then you might have to swap in and out fish. You can't have any female peacocks or the males will go nuts.

With a colony of labs (aiming for 1 male, 4-5 females, though you can do less), you could probably add 8 or 9 peacocks (on top of what you already have--2).

Think in terms of 24-25 fish. Peacocks are larger, and an all-male tank is always aggressive so I'd do less if you went that way (more like 18 total).

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
toume said:
An all-male species tank is quite difficult and require a lot of work--just so you know before you get into it. Some males won't color up all the way.
No, not necessarily. The trick is to get males that are already showing color or mature males that are already colored up. Also, it helps to get one of each variety/different color. -If you do, you'll have greater chances that ALL males will color up.

toume said:
an all-male tank is always aggressive so I'd do less if you went that way (more like 18 total).
They're not aggressive compared to mbuna. :wink:
I would stock less peacocks because of to their size- not aggression. Overstocking can actually help curb aggression.

Again, best thing to do is aim for peacocks that do not look alike in coloration and introduce them in large groups or all at once (never singles). There may be some that don't play nice so be prepared to remove them, but majority of them (providing they differ in color) should get along. Keep in mind that the Jakes will be on the more aggressive side, but, others such as the Benga, and Ngara are on the docile side and mostly keep to themselves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes it is a 4ft tank

Thanks for all the inof...I live in a small town so my choices are limited to what our (1) local store has in for cichlids.

I did not realize I could have that many more fish.

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Small towns, big towns... local selection can stink. Your choices expand when you shop online and with the price of gas these days shipping turns out to be pretty reasonable :thumb:

Check the review section of this site for online retailers. I have purchased all my fish online even though there are about 8 stores within 20 miles (most of them chains but I do have 2 LFS).

·
Registered
843 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
You don't want 18 male peacocks in a 4' tank. You wan't maybe 8-9 plus your labs (7-8).
Sorry guys. I meant 18 total fish--labs, peacocks, and haps where normally, with just Mbuna you could have more (like 25 because they're smaller). I believe I also suggested 8-9 peacock/haps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts