Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hand built the stand for my standard size 75 gallon tank. It has a 4x4 post in each corner, a 2x6 in the back middle, and a 2x4 middle front. Top and bottom are 2x4 construction with two braces spaced evenly apart. plywood topped.

My problem is that one of the 4x4's has a split in it. I didnt notice it when I built it, and since I have noticed it, it hasn't gotten any larger. It basically runs the entire length of the post on one side (doesnt go all the way through). SHOULD I WORRY!? The tank has 140lbs of flagstone and 100lbs of sand. It has been up for a month and a half now with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
That doesn't sound like an issue I'd loose any sleep over. For starters that stand sounds like it's built to hold up a 750G tank, not a 75G :thumb:

A 2x4 is plenty enough to hold up the weight of any tank. In fact my 240G sits on a commercially bought cabinet that has no posts, but relies on the 3/4" plywood that forms the sides. A split in a 4x4 along he length is a non issue in my humble opinion, but of course it all also depends on how the wood is used to put the stand together Do you have any photos of the stand?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have plenty of pics. But.....I am new to the forum and don't know how to upload them. Any help?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd venture to guess that you could sit your car/truck/SUV on that stand and it wouldn't budge.

As fmueller has already said, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the outside.

This one shows the framing on the top. Bottom is the same.

This is how the 4x4's are supporting the top.

I put the 2x6 the light is hooked on to the cracked 4x4 for extra support.

This is the crack in the 4x4.

·
Registered
143 Posts
oh you are good no worries.. as stated before this will hold up to a car!!! LOL BTW very nice job on this build!!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
This is a case where it would have been better to have used regular wood rather than treated wood. Treated wood is very green, wet wood which uses one of the lesser grades of wood. As such it tends to warp and split as it dries. It will never be more than an appearance problem as there is plenty of wood for support. It's just that extra work and effort were used to make it. The bigger question might be if the wood starts to twist as it continues to dry over the years. It may be fastened well enough not to let it twist. It will bear watching as the drying may takes several years.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You will see checking in larger cuts of wood. There is no getting around that. I have gone back many times to repair a timber used as a mantel because of checks. What you are seeing is cosmetic. A good building technique though would be to cut the posts 1/4" or so shorter than the top frame so when that frame "shrinks" to its final size the post does not "pop up" above it. See that happen all the time 'specially with outdoor decks.

What is happening is the outer portions dry out quicker than the center and the fibers tear. This will continue until the post completely dries out and with treated wood that will be even more moisture loss. No biggie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts