Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was gonna set up with under gravel filter and power heads.
Any suggestions/advice?
What are the best power heads recommended?

·
Registered
625 Posts
You might want to avoid an under gravel filter as cichlids will dig it up. If you want a good stock I'd suggest a canister or a wet/dry. Something that gets good biological filtration and will handle the bioload.

I like Aquarium Systems Maxijet power heads. They do a good job and are reasonably priced.

Fluval also makes some good power heads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to find what is best recommended for a filtering system. I know nothing about canister filters. I only have experience in the past with UG's and power heads on the side tubes. I have used hang on the back filters... Please help

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
UG filters are kind of being phased out. They are impossible to clean without breaking the entire tank down and they tend to become nitrate factories cause everything gets trapped underneath. For a 75 gallon tank a lot of people go with a combination of a canister filter and HOB (hang on back) filter but it's not required. You can google info on canister and HOB filters and get all the info you need. Both are simple to set up, although the canister requires a little more involvement to set up. Don't be affraid to try a canister filter, they are quiet and do a very nice job filtering and housing bio media. They also give you a lot of media options although I basically keep just bio media and coarse sponges in mine. The most popular brands are Fluval, Ehiem and Rena.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Great advice RGR, I would equate canisters versus wet/dry as a preference argument. What pros do you like. I have both and not sure which is better. I'd recommend a canister for a beginner because everything is included with the price, there are fewer parts, and you can never flood your stand like you can with a wet/dry sump.

Canisters also allow you to improvise filter media. With my canister instead of buying the proper media I use the surplus of top fin HoB cartridges that I have from when I had a 20 gallon. The filter bags work great for mechanical filtration, throw the carbon into some panty hose for chemical, and don't need to ever replace biomedia (at least not for a long time).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have to drill holes in your tank etc? where is a good website to research canister filters. I would need one that is not complicated and hopefully not where I have to keep messing with it like replacing stuff in it often, maybe one thats also somewhat affordable?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
tarwi said:
do you have to drill holes in your tank etc? where is a good website to research canister filters. I would need one that is not complicated and hopefully not where I have to keep messing with it like replacing stuff in it often, maybe one thats also somewhat affordable?
You only have to drill holes with wet/dry sump systems, not canister filters. The intake and outtake lines go behind the tank to the canister underneath the tank. You will need to make a one time purchase of the bio media, such as Biomax ceramic rings. The coarse sponges usually come with the canister from the factory. The sponges can be rinsed and reused over and over, and the bio media generally doesn't get rinsed or cleaned. You don't need carbon or any type of ammonian remover etc. The only thing you may want to add is some filter floss (pillow stuffing bought at walmart). I put that in my top tray and it's like $4.00 for a big bag. So after your initial purchase, there are very few things you need to buy. Cleaning is only needed about once every couple of months. When you first set it up you can let it go longer than that before your first cleaning. I'll find some websites and post up the links.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I believe it's "Aquarium Systems" brand. It may be a subsidiary of marineland but I am not sure.

You can plum your tank by drilling but I am currently running a Rena XP3 that comes with everything you need. All hoses simply hang on the back and suction cup on the inside.

Take a look at the item descriptions on this page: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/f ... /3579/3580

RGR gave you three good brands to research.

Check your local craigslist for deals though. I just got a bunch of stuff from a guy who was moving and I ended up with two canisters among other things for next to nothing- a fluval 204 and a Rena XP3. Personally I think the Rena is heads and shoulders above the Fluval in quality, ease of cleaning, and better trays for media.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you so much I was about to ask if you could send me pics of how it looks setup etc. :) You're the greatest! I found lots of pictures of the canister but nothing that showed it set up. Oh and the pics don't show just how big it is either LOL

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm pretty much a newbie to all this, but I picked up the Fluval FX5 for my 75 gallon. Very easy to install. I built my stand and all I had to do was drill two holes in the back for the in and out tubes (drilled a third one for power cords). Set up was extremely easy. No media comes with the FX5, but I threw some Biomax in two of the trays and some charcoal in the top tray along with a polishing pad. I've heard the charcoal is only active for a short time, but I wanted to get all the **** out from the tap water with the charcoal, then I'll throw some bio-balls that I picked up in the top tray.

I will have to say that the FX5 is extremely quiet for its size. I dumped 4 bags of carib-sea eco complete gravel into my tank (comes packed in liquid) and couldn't see a half inch into the tank it got so cloudy. Turned the filter on and in 20 minutes my 75 gallon tank was crystal clear.

I can post some pictures of the setup when I get home in a few hours.

·
Registered
625 Posts
With all of the praise of Fluval products, I am looking forward to getting my 40L up and running to use the Fluval 204 that came with it. It was a pain to clean but I may have spoke too soon.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have 2 Maxi-Jet powerheads in my 75 gallon. They come as a powerhead or as a circulation pumps. The circulation pump move alot more water, and the water stream is much wider as well. Maxi-Jets are Marineland. They are also very reasonably priced as well considering they are a 2in1.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Here's the pics of the FX5 installed:

FX5 Cansiter in the stand, holes up towards the top so there are no kinks or horizontal tubing (its gravity fed).

Right in the corner is the intake... Further towards the middle you can see one of the output nozzles (it has two adjustable nozzles on the one output. I know that one looks like it's pointing at the ground, its actually going through one of the tunnells in the rock formation).

Intake and output tubes running up the back of the aquarium.

Took me less than 15 minutes to install.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
JoelRHale said:
With all of the praise of Fluval products, I am looking forward to getting my 40L up and running to use the Fluval 204 that came with it. It was a pain to clean but I may have spoke too soon.
I think they are even better now since the 04 series came out. I have a 305 too. Both that and the fx5 have been great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts