Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, but I've found loads of great information on this site... this place is great!! I have a 75 gallon tank that's fully cycled and I've been researching Mbunas for the past few weeks now. I've been looking into these Mbunas and I need some advice for what wouldn't work and what would(if anything): Labidochromis caeruleus, Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, Pseudotropheus perspicax, Iodotropheus sprengerae, and Cynotilapia afra. I don't plan on putting all of these species into the same tank, I was thinking more like 3-4 species. If you have any recommendations on different species than what I listed, I'd love to hear them. I also plan on having a 1m;4f ratio for each species. I realize some species don't mix well and m;f ratios are sometimes different, so I encourage criticisms and thoughts. This is my first cichlid tank so I really would appreciate any and all information or advice. Thanks all!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would omit the perspicax as they are so aggressive even fishkeepers way more experienced than me have failed with them.

The others would be fine with 1m:4f of each except do 7 females for the cyaneorhabdos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response DJ! I'll skip on the perspicax, and the m;f ratio for cyaneorhabdos is noted.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
DJRansome said:
I would omit the perspicax as they are so aggressive
They have some reputation for being aggressive. Yet most of what i read about them say they really don't live up to their reputation. Just one example:http://www.borstein.info/profiles/malawi/pseudotropheusperspicaxo.html
ANY of the mbuna can end up being very aggressive. Especially to their own kind. But I sort of have my doubts that perspicax would typically be in the same category as something like chipokae or auratus as i have yet to see anyone say that Melanochromis don't live up to their aggressive reputation (unlike perspicax). You can look on multiple threads on multiple forums about most aggressive mbuna or most aggressive african cichlid and your most common vote is for chipokae followed by auratus. Lot's of mention of kenyi and crabro. Not once have I ever seen perspicax even mentioned as most aggressive. It's certainly not as common as those I've listed, but enough people have kept the fish.
Never kept chipokae, but i have kept auratus, kenyi and crabro. IME, auratus is the most unpredictable cichlid in terms of where it's aggression might be directed. The only cichlid that I remove temporarily form a tank when introducing new fish as it is too unpredictable. Even introducing big fish, I remove auratus as a precaution, because it may very well attack before a new fish has any chance of defending itself!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The research I've done has shown similar results to you BC in CK. I was leaning towards maybe including the perspicax in my stocking, but having a separate tank just in case I need to quarantine if they become too aggressive. As for the other species you mentioned, I don't plan on stocking those fish with a more aggressive reputation. Maybe I'll venture into those fish in the future. Thanks for the info!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts