Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys finally got my stand built an have pics an a build log coming up soon, good the sand (pfs) in an cleaned didn't get a video (kicking myself) but its done, 2 bags full its beautiful so far. no rocks or fake plants in yet but its a work in progess.
i am planning on going with african cichlids an some tinfoil barbs in this tank, my filter is the cascade 1500 series does about 150gph, an we have it going an everything but wondering should we let it do a fishless cycle or a put maybe a gold fish or something inthere to get it going for a few days.? thanks in advance guys an sorry about the rambling lol

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Fishless cycling is you adding ammonia to simulate fish waste, decaying food etc... to get perform the nitrogen cycle. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cycling.php I would just do the fishless cycling. Throwing a gold fish in there for a few days won't really do anything. Save the $.99. Read up on fishless cycling, it's super easy. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... ycling.php

And for a 75 gallon might want to add another filter if you are keeping Africans. I try for 10x turnover rate in my tanks. So for a 75g you are looking at 750gph. You don't need to go that high but I tend to over filter. Also the listed gph rates on filters are usually for empty filters with no media.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the gold fish won't cost me a thing cause my oldest son has a few that he can spare lol an the reading was a bit over whelming most of the stuff was chinese to me really didn't get an understanding of it all.
i did get from the second paragraph that it wasn't that hard to do an prolly alot easier than adding a few inexpensive fish to it.
far as the filter goes its a 150 gph, my tank is a 75gal that pump, pumps twice an hour if not 1.5 times an hour. we may end up adding one more down the line though but i think this one will be ok till then, if problems arise anyway.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
1.5 isn't nearly enough. You want at least 7-10x, like has been said before. And keep reading about the nitrogen cycle until it makes sense. It'll save you a lot of heartbreak and frustration later on.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
doing a fishless cycle and borrow some established media from your sons tank will definately help alot,
as far as the rocks are concerned it would be safer to add them first,make your piles and then add the sand-alot of cichlids like to dig around rocks,
good luck and any questions on cycling ,just ask :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts