Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone, I am finishing off my basement. During this time I have been searching craigslist for aquariums because I wanted to put like a 30 gallon in the basement. I stumbled upon a 75 with dual emperor 400 filters for a price I couldn't pass up. Problem is I don't have room for the tank in a spot it will be protected from the kiddos.

In comes the bar to the rescue! :) I'm putting my new 75 in the wall behind the bar so that it will be secure and somewhat protected from the kiddos. My concern was a kid slamming into the tank stand and this won't be a concern with the tank this way. I was also concerned about "visitors" putting "stuff" in the tank, once again not a concern this way.

Concept:

The door to the right leads to a utility area where I will be putting in a sink to make water changes easier.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the hole in the wall that the tank will go into. (Note I added another stud under the right side of the "beam").

I tend to over build things so the beam across the bottom of the hole is two 2x4's glued and screwed together. The beam is perfectly level.

Since this shot I have drywalled the basement, mudded, spattered and painted. I'm currently working on doors and trim. Once those are done, I actually get to work on the tank stand, etc!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning mbuna cichlids for this tank and they love a lot of rocks.

Since I can't work on the tank itself I figured I would gather up some rocks. I've been picking from all over and have quite a good selection of them.

To clean them up I scrubbed them all and then put them in the tote with some bleach. I live in an agricultural area so no stream is really pristine...

After that soak I rinsed them a couple times and then put them in water with like a 4x dose of dechloranator.

I'm glad I used my old filter to filter the water, it got a lot of "crud" off of the rocks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And finally my filters... I was disapointed that I couldn't get my filters going because I don't have a spot for my tank yet. I kept reading posts that you are actually trying to cycle the filter and not the tank and got an idea. Why not cycle my filters in a tub?

So I picked up a tub, put my filters on it and fishlessly cycled them. I put a heater in set to 84 and used ammonia to seed the tank. I also have a few 10 gallon tanks running so I pulled out the sponges I had in the filters and put some of the gravel in the media baskets.

Things went a little too well. I had nitrite in 3 days and had nitrate in 15. It's now processing 5-6 ppm of ammonia every 24 hours. I'm going to keep dosing with ammonia until I get my tank setup but the filters are ready to go.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You can dose every 3 days or so.. depending on the load you planning on putting in, you can dose to 1-2ppm.

By the way, a 75 gallon tank is almost 800lbs. Kids can't move it.

(I have 4 kids & 6 aquariums, 3 of which are 55 or larger)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glaneon said:
By the way, a 75 gallon tank is almost 800lbs. Kids can't move it.

(I have 4 kids & 6 aquariums, 3 of which are 55 or larger)
I'm not so worried about them moving it as I am them slamming into it and knocking it over. It's a very top heavy item on a stand that wasn't that great. (Hence the in wall build and getting rid of the stand).

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
True, I've seen some stands I would never put an aquarium on. All depends I suppose!

Great project you got there though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Great project! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.