Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I put together a list, keeping color in mind. Plan on attempting plenty of rocks for hiding spots, etc. Thinking Light colored substrate (light PFS), well lit, and a painted black background.

I am new to this and I am sure 1 or 2 of these will get an overwhelming "ohhh **** no!", :p so please school me. I have looked at the "cookie cutter" setups, just looking for a tad more divertsity than the standard yellow lab/acei setups.

As of right now I am not thinking breeding (but may down the road) so if I am risking cross breeding PLEASE tell me...

4 x Labidochromis Caeruleus (1M, 3F)
4 x Pseudotropheus Demasoni (1M, 3F)
4 x Pseudotropheus Acei (1M, 3F)
3 x Cynotilapia afra (Cobue) (1M, 2F)
3 x Metriaclima estherae (OB) (1M, 3F)
3 x Fire Fish / Dragon Blood / Sunburst Peacock

·
Registered
424 Posts
what will your filtration be? With enough filtration you may be able to get most of that list in there, but even then you will have to make some cuts and wont be keeping any babies.

·
Registered
291 Posts
"4 x Pseudotropheus Demasoni (1M, 3F)"

Conventional wisdom says at least 12 demasoni if you'e going to have them. I have never kept them, but increased numbers diffuses aggression.

"3 x Fire Fish / Dragon Blood / Sunburst Peacock"

If you;re going to keep the rambunctious mbuna that you have listed, I would scrap the peacocks. I have yellow labs and acei in my peacock tank, but they are the exception. They are easey going as mbuna go and provide somdither for my haps/peacocks. The mbuna you have listed would not mix well with peacocks generally speaking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions to replace the Demasoni's? Something colorful, maybe in the blue spectrum? possibly Melanochromis johannii, Metriaclima sp. "Msobo", or Pseudotropheus saulosi ?

Also I read that although normally Peacocks are not well suited for Mbuna tanks, that these hybrids seem to do well (i am assuming this is species in the tank specific though).

And if not on the "Fire Fish" what else is a nice solid orange or red color that isnt at all albino?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lucid_eye said:
what will your filtration be? With enough filtration you may be able to get most of that list in there, but even then you will have to make some cuts and wont be keeping any babies.
I am planning on a canister and hob, enough for very clear water. Have not decided exactly which 2 I will go with, so if you have some suggestions I am open to hear them :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
well I would not do the johhani they are evil with peacocks. I have to agree with Boiler, labs are very docile and work well with peacocks. It may seem that we are crushing your dreams but otherwise you would end up with some serious issues. The moderators look down on brand suggestions, so I will tell you the following filter specs I recommend. I try to cycle my tanks volume 5 to 7 times an hour but recommend at least 3. So on a 75 gallon tank I would shoot for 250 gallons per hour. I also believe in spreading the load as much as realistically makes sense. Two filters are fine, 3 would be better. If I had a tank of that size, I would buy a hang on back filter that puts out about 100-150 gph for biological and a canister filter of the same rating for mech. filtering. And then 1 or 2 circulating pumps with a sponge filter over the intakes. Please do not take this as "the word" but simply what I would so with a tank of this size. Filtration will make a big difference on your stocking specs if you go with the tamer route, if you go aggressive the size of your footprint will be more important. Don't forget to add some dither fish and a couple of bristle nose plecos.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I am still in the "planning" phase, I am really open to suggestions. My goal is a good mix of nice colors. I think in a "colorful" tank Labs are a must have. That yellow really sticks out. Also the Acei are that nice softer purple/yellow combo. The reason I was thinking the Fire Peacock was because I wanted some brillant orange in there. So by all means offer up some different combinations, I will not at all be hurt. This is my first Cichlid tank and I really want it to look GOOD.

My daughter was going to have some rams in her tank, but she switched up and went with guarami's which started me down the path to my own tank :p

I am going to look at a 75 gal tank from a friends uncle for a whopping $75 for tank, stand, and alot of extras, which is why i am looking at 75gal.

People on this site and a mod that is a local for me has been a huge help in learning about proper tank set-ups, etc. So I am more than willing to look at different combinations.

I think in my head what it boils down to is looking in this tank when its done and seeing alot of varried colors with active fish. My daughter has some nice looking gourami's but they spend most of their time camped out in the little shelters I gave them. aka booooooring ;p

So feel free to throw ideas, it will NOT hurt my feelings :thumb:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have a group of P. elongatus "Chewere", might be a nice replacement for the demasoni for some blue. Not sure if they and the c. afra would squabble over the blue/bars, I had 1 male for a little while, and he was pretty scrappy. The johanni are evil!

·
Registered
625 Posts
jbarilow said:
Any suggestions to replace the Demasoni's? Something colorful, maybe in the blue spectrum? possibly Melanochromis johannii, Metriaclima sp. "Msobo", or Pseudotropheus saulosi ?
I keep Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos which look exactly like johannii but are monomorphic and much less aggressive.

To replace the red, what about orange with red zebras or rusties?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
red zebras might work. saw some variations in color so would need to be a bit picky, but i dont see why not :) Any issues with the Estherae RED and Estherae OB cross breeding?

Also I do like the look of the Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos as well :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ps. saulosi is a solid choice too. I'm sure you know that the females are yellow so you may want to cut labs out of your list.

I'm building my 75 too and I am working to 10 labs, 10 rusties, and 10 eb johannis. I definitely know how hard it is to figure out what exactly you want and then finding it! Good luck working it out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
jbarilow said:
What would be some good examples that would go with Mbuna?
Tiger barbs? Idk I've never fooled with dithers so I don't know but those seem colorful, cheap, and fast enough to last a while.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I was advised here that red zebra x ob zebra is no problem, so I kept fry from mine. Saulosi sounds like a really good choice, one day I'd like to keep them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so I deffinately want the labs, so will keep looking for a nice bright orange alternative :)

Thanks for all the brainstorming and info, keep throwing your ideas my way :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
jbarilow said:
red zebras might work. saw some variations in color so would need to be a bit picky, but i dont see why not :) Any issues with the Estherae RED and Estherae OB cross breeding?

Also I do like the look of the Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos as well :)
I'd be worried that the Estherae RED and Estherae OB will cross breed with the labs.....
But for replacing the "Fire fish" I would try the rusties....someone correct me if i'm wrong but they are generally on the peaceful side.

Personally I would ditch the labs and go with the saulosi just because they are "2 colors one species" thats what I call them lol :roll: That would add a nice yellow and blue color of the labs and dems.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Iodotropheus sprengerae. Males are orange with purple sides, the females are solid orange. I have them with labs right now and they are very good together.

·
Registered
625 Posts
:D andrew5859 beat me to it! I'd ditch the labs if I was deciding between dems and labs or saulosi but the LFS can't get either so it made my decision very easy.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Not sure if your list has changed after all the posts, but I would lose two species and go to 1m:4f of each.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts