Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a similar post in the Tang. section trying to think of ideas for a Tang setup, but I also wanted to consider a malawi setup since currently I have a few fish of each.

If I decide on going malawi, it will be nothing but mbuna. I currently have a scolofi and a yellow lab at about 3 inches that are doing great. I am not sure of their sex, but both have egg spots.

What final stocking list would you go with for a 75 gal mbuna tank starting with scolofi and yellow lab?

What about:
Scolofi, Yellow Lab, demasoni, and OB Zebras?

If that works, what about numbers? I will probably have to purchase juveniles so I dont know that I would have the luxury of choosing males and females.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Usually 4 species spots for a 75g mbuna tank, of which 2 are taken by demasoni.
So, respectively, labs, socolofi and dems, 1m:4-5, 1m:6-7 and 15-20.
Purchasing as juvies, ~8 labs, 12 socolofi and 20-25 demasoni.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the concise yet descriptive response! Just to clarify, what is the m:f ratio for demasoni? I see you wrote 15-20.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Normally shoot for at least 1m:9f. Because it's a difficult ratio to achieve, you just add more than needed, ie 12-15 minimum in a 55g. Increase with tank size, 15-20 75g, 20-25 90g, etc.
Then as they mature, remove extra males, they tend to hang out up top in the tank or behind filter intakes, heaters, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is generally done with weeded out fish? I have never tried to ship any fish and I wouldnt trust myself to do that well. The fish store takes them, but I dont know that they would give me any credit for it. :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
jprime84 said:
What is generally done with weeded out fish? I have never tried to ship any fish and I wouldnt trust myself to do that well. The fish store takes them, but I dont know that they would give me any credit for it. :(
I always figured its better to give them away for free than kill them but its all up to you.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Take them to a fish club auction, there are lots of them in the spring and fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts