Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded to the 75 gal. My experience with cichlids has been keeping a grab bag of individuals i picked up over time, so im pretty much a noob to well thought out stocking lists. Everything is fine now, but I want to ensure its right long term. I have a mix of malawi and tanganyika now, but I would really like to move towards a tanganyika community tank.

Im looking for stocking list suggestions, preferably incorporating as many of the existing tangs as possible.

Current list (no individuals over 3 inches)
Labidochromis caeruleus
Pseudotropheus socolofi
Aulonocara baenschi
Neolamprologus leleupi
Cyphotilapia gibberosa (2)
Synodontis Petricola (2)
Tropheus duboisi
Nimbochromis venustus (looking for a new home)

you can see how the tank is laid out here

If you live near Raleigh, NC and are interested in adopting any fish that I don't end up keeping, let me know. What suggestions do you guys have?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My initial thoughts:

Keep the synodontis, the leleupi, and the troph

Add a few white calvus, and a few c. brichardi?
Or maybe some Cyps? Nigripinnis?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
If you are thinking of a Tang community, you can either start with the leleupi and get rid of everything else, or with the Tropheus and Synodontis, and get rid of everything else, it's your call.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the color on the leleupi, and after reading further about the sensitive digestive tract of the Troph, I am thinking he will not be easy to mix into a community.

What is wrong with leleupi and the catfish? They have never appeared to interact with each other.

For the sake of argument, lets say start with Leleupi. Where do I go from there? Prolific spawning is not a priority, as I don't have any grow out tanks setup. I am mostly interested in having a variety of species with activity all over the tank.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Then id go for all Male haps/peacocks not a lot of brightly colored fish in lake tang that would work for what you want

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frazee86 said:
Then id go for all Male haps/peacocks not a lot of brightly colored fish in lake tang that would work for what you want
I never said that color was a requirement, I only said that I liked the color of the Leleupi. The fish don't have to be colorful to be interesting to watch.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Cyphotilapia gibberosa (2) are not going to be happy in a community 75g long term.

But then thats more obvious than saying the venustus needs moving on as it gets big.

A 75g is a bit small for a good mix of tang and Malawi cichlids even well choisen ones and the very small guys.

Long term select your lake for a 75g and stick with fish happy in this size tank for anything other than true dwarf species.

For sure the probs with mixing cichlids from such different places is entertaining for a while but long term generaly leads to tears. :(

All the best James

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've just gotten into Tangs the last year or so and have come to realize that they are way more complex than Malawi cichlids. For Malawi haps/peacocks/mubna, if the tank is big enough, you can do the "Pokemon Approach" and grab one of whatever you like. *MOST* stuff of fairly comparable size will get along alright (again - in a large enough tank).

Tangs are different. Many Tangs (from multifaciatus to brichardi to tropheus to featherfins) are typically mean fish. And the levels of mean vary greatly. It's tough/unpredictable to say that single specimens will do well with other single specimens, that's why folks don't recommend it (even if they have tried it).

If you're looking to do Tangs, I'd say def get rid of the mbuna and the peacocks.

To me, there's sort of "genres" of Tang species that go together: Fronts in species tanks, herbivores (petros, trophs and gobies) and then all other stuff.... Not that everything else is compatible, but species in this group are different enough from the herbivores and fronts to keep them separated. Folks here with more experience can further break down that "other" group, but I think that most agree on separating the first two groups (herbivores and fronts) from most other Tangs you see available.

Again, folks have varying success with the combinations they've tried, but don't generally pass along that info because conventional wisdom says that their success is the exception to the rule and not the norm. ie: single tropheus in mostly mbuna community tank or a single front mixed in with large haps.

A lot of it will come down to trial and error... which is easier to do if you have more than one tank. If you only have one, I'd lean towards more conventional wisdom/safe bets.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I have already established that if I do a tang community tank, the malawis and the fronts will go back to the store.

I appreciate the advice on getting all herbivores or all carnivores/omnivores.

I have been reading some other stocking help threads, and I am thinking of a carnivore/omnivore setup of Cyps/Nigripennis in the open water, with C. Brichardi, White calvus, and my lone leleupi in the lower half among the rocks and caves. Id probably keep my two syn. petricola as a cleanup crew for the sand.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Guess seen color for some reason hana but for most part ppl.suggest three sources for a 75 what im in the middle of rifght now have multis and calvus,with the plan to get cyp, call it done. That way have rock dweller ,bottom dweller and open water if your loading alot of space if ya leave the bottom for one fish

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have my multis in a tank on my desk at work. Besides I think I would worry about the calvus preying on the females. Geez.... DECISIONS! :lol:

·
Registered
482 Posts
miss spelled a lot in that last post(what i get for trying to respond from my phone) but shouldnt have to worry to much about them eating multi females never heard of it happening and so far they dont even care to bother them,even tho they are only 2inche calvus, multis bully them more then anything :thumb: but can try w/e you want but always have a back up plan.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got rid of the leleupi and the venustus today. Once I find a home for the fronts then all of the likely candidates to try and eat any cyps or small calvus should be gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts