Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am a new member to this site but I've been on here plenty of other times to read different forums. Currently, I have a fully cycled 75 gal tank (48"x 18"x 21") with the following Mbuna and Synodontis Multipunctatus Catfish:

-6 Yellow Tail Acei (Unsexed juveniles)
-6 Electric Yellow (Unsexed juveniles)
-6 Rusties (Unsexed juveniles)
-6 Marmalade Fuelliborni (Unsexed juveniles)
-4 Synodontis Multipunctatus catfish (Unsexed juveniles)

*I ordered all of these guys online through <vendor name removed> and they told me they would do their best to try and pick out 1 male to 5 females for each species so I'm hoping that works out in my favor. If not, I have an extra 20 gal long tank that is fully cycled and ready to be used as a temporary home in case any aggression issues arise. Also, I have several LFS that would be willing to take any extra males off my hands if that situation occurs.

This is my first African Cichlid tank and everything is going well with the current stock that I have but I just wanted to get some more opinions on whether or not I could add some more species of Mbuna to this tank. Currently, my filtration is well over what it needs to be with: 1x SunSun 704b (525 GPH), 1x SunSun 302 (264 GPH), and an Aquaclear 110 (500 GPH). All of these filters are stuffed full with over 8 Kg of biohome ultimate. Also, my tank has plenty of rocks and hiding places for the fish to hide and I am willing to add more caves if it will help with the addition of more fish. I also realize that the fish I currently have are still juveniles and aggression issues typically dont arise until they are older. However, I have also read that adding them all this young will help them get familiar with eachother and minimize any future aggression. Similarly, I know that heavily stocking the tank will too help with aggression (I have read that you can have upwards of 30-35 Mbuna in a 75 gal tank that is well filtered). So, I am curious to what you guys think of possibly adding SOME of the following fish:

3 Textilus (Melanochromis ExasPeratus) (Would buy as juveniles but hoping for a 1M:2F ratio)
4 Cobalt Blue Zebra (Metriaclima Callanios) (Would buy as juveniles but hoping for a 1M:3F ratio)
4 Albino Pseudotropheus Socolofi (Would buy as juveniles but hoping for a 1M:3F ratio)
1 More Synodontis Multipunctatus catfish (would like to add one more of these guys for a total of 5 in the tank)

I realize that adding this many fish will definitely max out the stock of this tank but I just wanted to ask and see if it would be possible. Also, I am open to any other suggestions you guys may have on types of fish that would possibly work or how I should go about adding more fish.

I am hoping to add these 3 species of Mbuna becuase I feel like they will definitely add to the variety of my tank. I'm most interested in adding the Textilus because I have read that they are pretty peaceful and mind their own bussiness but I also know they are on the smaller size and dont want them to be bullied by any of my current Mbuna. Then when it comes to the Albino Socolofi and Cobalt blue, I could go either way. I've always wanted to add an albino mbuna to the tank but I am also definitely attracted to the cobalt blues. Hopefully you guys can help me decide on which would be the better option or If i could add both. Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know the feeling you are feeling right now. haha... You have a great group in there right now. Based on how large they will become as adults and the color variants you will have I would recommend only adding 1 more species unless you are planning on getting a larger tank or adding another tank to move fish into. I'm by no means an expert but based on my limited experience I would recommend adding either 6 of the Cobalt Blue Zebras (I have 6 from LFD and they look great) or 6 of the Socolofi.

One thing I would also be prepared for is not having the ratios you had hoped for. I have ordered what were supposed to be M and F from LFD and I believe in a couple instances I received the incorrect sex. They were very small so I expect some mistakes to be made. I ordered 7 YT Mbamba unsexed Juvies and I look to have received 4M and 3F.

Anyway... my reasons for my recommendations are that your Acei's could grow out to 6 or 7". Your Rusties will be smaller. The Yellows in the 5 inch range and I belive the Fuelliborni around 6. That's going to look a lot different than it does right now in about a year. 6 more Cobalt Blues or Socolofi (also expected to reach 6") are going to be plenty for that tank. I would avoid the Exasperatus due to temperament.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!! :)

Hate to do this to you but if you haven't looked into LFD's Msobo Deeps they are stunners. Male and Female. They don't get all that big. You could probably add 2M and 6F to your current stock. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I figured that my stock was pretty full already but I was hoping someone could talk me into getting more haha. As far as the ratios you received from LFD, did you end up keeping all the males and females together? Or did you have to take some males out? And if you did end up keeping all of the males that you received, how are the aggression levels in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I would not add fish. Even in a 72" tank I like 5 species. Some squeeze 7 species in a 72" tank.

Also I have never had luck with less than 4 females...especially with aggressive species like socolofi and Metriaclima (cobalt),

I do not find extra filtration or rocks increases the capacity for stock.

With the fish you have, as long as you end up with 1m of each aggression should be managed very well. Too much overstocking gives you a tank like those feeder goldfish tanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bcast077 said:
Thanks for the advice! I figured that my stock was pretty full already but I was hoping someone could talk me into getting more haha. As far as the ratios you received from LFD, did you end up keeping all the males and females together? Or did you have to take some males out? And if you did end up keeping all of the males that you received, how are the aggression levels in the tank?
I've only had them about 2 months. They were all 2 1/2" or less. I have not removed any yet but am planning on it. I am monitoring the situation closely. I'd like to end up with closer to 45 with a 1m 5f ratio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
I would not add fish. Even in a 72" tank I like 5 species. Some squeeze 7 species in a 72" tank.

Also I have never had luck with less than 4 females...especially with aggressive species like socolofi and Metriaclima (cobalt),

I do not find extra filtration or rocks increases the capacity for stock.

With the fish you have, as long as you end up with 1m of each aggression should be managed very well. Too much overstocking gives you a tank like those feeder goldfish tanks.
Thanks for the input! I will take your advice and stick with what I have for now. Hopefully these ratios work out in my favor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts