Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what others may recommend for a filtrations setup for the tank. I was looking at the eheim 2217 canister filter, but this may not be enough to keep the tank clean. If anyone has recommendations for something better than the eheim 2217 or other filters that I can add to the tank that would be great. I need a good filtration set up that is adequate enough for what I am stocking my tank with. For the record, the tank will be stocked as followed:
- Pair of keyhole cichlids
- 4 bolivian rams
- 4 zebra loaches
- 5-7 black phantom tetras
- 5-7 bleeding heart tetras
- 3 upside down catfish
I may end up only putting one type of tetra or completely removing the catfish from the stock all together. Haven't decided yet and don't even know if I can actually find these fish to purchase once the tank is set up and cycled. Let me know if you have any filter recommendations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiftyfox said:
Depends on the size of your tank..?
You can't go wrong with Oase Biomaster range
It's a 75 gallon tank. Standard size 4 foot tank. I know everyone has their preference, but I know that some people actually use 2 canister filters in the tank if it is largely stocked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also considering getting a HOB filter in addition to the eheim 2217 canister filter as a back up. Anyone have suggestions for an adequate HOB filter to pair with the canister?

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
You can pair the Eheim 2217 with the Aquaclear 110 HOB filter if you want. The AC110 should fit just fine on a 75G tank frame, the smaller models might not.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The Eheim 2217 and Aquaclear 110 that was suggested would definitely be my choice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Eheims are harder to maintain than many other brands. I have the Fluval 407 on my 46 gallons and will be using it on my 75 gallons, along with an internal filter.

Fluval are quiet filters, easy to maintain, durable and they hold a lot of media. Spare parts are also very easy to find if needed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Idech said:
Eheims are harder to maintain than many other brands. I have the Fluval 407 on my 46 gallons and will be using it on my 75 gallons, along with an internal filter.

Fluval are quiet filters, easy to maintain, durable and they hold a lot of media. Spare parts are also very easy to find if needed.
Why do you say they are harder to maintain? Eheim has the best track record of any canister filter out there IMO. I have a 2213 from almost 30 years ago that works to this day and was even in storage for about 20 years until I needed it this past year for a quarantine tank. True, they haven't made any fancy changes since their inception but really there is no need to. They are super quiet. Don't have any of the newer Fluval models (last one i owned was a 403 probably about 25 years ago and didn't compare to the Eheim) so I can't really give my opinion. I do have 2 FX5's and an FX6 that I think are great. But l felt the 403 was flimsier and cheaply made compared to the Eheim. They keep it simple and thats all you need.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have the Fluval 406, which is the same as the Fluval 407. I'm never going to compare a Fluval to a Eheim. Not performance or longevity.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
I have Eheims and API Rena Filstar XP filters. I do think the XP filters are easier to maintain (single lever disconnect and prime one time during the life of the filter).

I have yet to have a XP filter fail...15 years and counting, 6 filters on 3 tanks.

They cost less. Parts are interchangeable regardless of the size of the filter.

Nothing wrong with the Eheims, but when I have to buy another it will be an XP and not an Eheim.

·
Registered
207 Posts
fishboy75 said:
Idech said:

Why do you say they are harder to maintain? Eheim has the best track record of any canister filter out there IMO. I have a 2213 from almost 30 years ago that works to this day and was even in storage for about 20 years until I needed it this past year for a quarantine tank. True, they haven't made any fancy changes since their inception but really there is no need to. They are super quiet. Don't have any of the newer Fluval models (last one i owned was a 403 probably about 25 years ago and didn't compare to the Eheim) so I can't really give my opinion. I do have 2 FX5's and an FX6 that I think are great. But l felt the 403 was flimsier and cheaply made compared to the Eheim. They keep it simple and thats all you need.
I don't remember everything but I watched a lot of videos before making my decision. If I'm not mistaken, they don't have a prime function and the media baskets are a pain to remove and make a mess.

I didn't say they weren't good filters and durable, just that the maintenance aspect (cleaning them) is not up to par in my opinion.

Also, I bought a recent model and it was so noisy I had to return it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up buying the eheim 2217 and the aquaclear 110 for the tank. I'll see how it goes once I get the tank set up and cycling. Just have to wait for the stand... shipping is taking forever. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. If the eheim doesn't work out, which I really hope isn't the case, then I will look into some of the other suggestions.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
ncm13579 said:
I ended up buying the eheim 2217 and the aquaclear 110 for the tank. I'll see how it goes once I get the tank set up and cycling. Just have to wait for the stand... shipping is taking forever. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. If the eheim doesn't work out, which I really hope isn't the case, then I will look into some of the other suggestions.
If the 2217's don't work out, you got a dud. I have five 2217's and two 2262's tat have been running flawlessly for years.
They hold more media and pump out more GPH, and that is all that matters to most of us.
I'm sure you'll be happy with that combo.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Noddy you definitely know what time it is when it comes to filtration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.