Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is a listing for a 72gallon bowfront tank on Craigslist. It is 7 years old and has always been used for freshwater, mostly cichlids, and was taken down a few months ago when the last one died and been stored indoors since. It comes with the stand, glass lid, and 2 24inch lightstrips. He said he also has a bunch of old filters heater and supplied but they all need scrubbed down badly that I could take if I wanted.

Price is $250. Is this a good deal?? Is 7 years old for a bowfront tank or is it safe to say its leakfree?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
To give you an idea, I got my 180g with stand, FX5, C360, Eheim ecco filter and other misc supplies for $275 on craigslist. A very good deal I know, but they are out there. Used tanks should go for about $1 per gallon. Add a few dollars if there is a stand, lights and useable filters. But no, I would not pay anything over $150 for this set up. And it sounds like you will want to buy a new filter(s) if the ones he has aren't in good condition. I have seen some absolutely outragous prices for tanks on craigslist lately. I think people think they are houses and want to retain most of their money they dumped into it when they bought it brand new. I recently saw a 10g complete kit for $150! Petsmart has them on sale for $39.99. If they aren't willing to lower the price, then walk away. Tanks come up for sale all the time on craigslist just be patient!

PS... Make sure you fill it with water BEFORE you buy it!!

·
Banned
406 Posts
DEJA-VU! http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=225070

Heres my response again :lol:
That price sounds high to me even with it being a bow front. But it depends...where I live theres plenty of tanks for sale on craigslist and a local fish forum so theyre pretty cheap down here. Maybe up north theyre harder to come by.

I'd say $150, $200 tops. Thats just my opinion.

Have the guy fill it up with water before you buy it to make absolute sure it wont leak. GOOD LUCK either way!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have to agree with both 60gallon and rgr4475 that $250 seems alittle high, especially if it doesn't come with a decent filter. I just recently picked up a 75 with a stand, lids, light and a fluval305 for $150. Be patient and continue looking there are alot of great deals to be had on craigslist. Goodluck

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would say that is not worth it. I picked up a 55 gallon tank with stand and an eheim 2215 for 110. Also got a 37 gallon with stand and canopy for 60 bucks. just keep looking!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bowfronts seem to go for a bit more due to the shape, I can always find cheap regular tanks but have a hard time ever even finding a bowfront above 46gallon on craigslist and theyre usually $200+.
I offered the guy $80 for the tank with lid and lamp + whatever accessories he has, he said they just need a good scrubbing never know what you may find :), or $125 for the whole setup with stand included. Waiting to see his response but If he accepts Im going to either start a group of tricolor cyps with some enat melanogenys or go saltwater.

·
Banned
7 Posts
The aquarium should be as large as possible for the species that you intend to keep. The minimum size should be at least 36x18x18 (inches) to be used for small octopus species and as big as you can get after that.

-----------------------
Tropical Fish Tanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.