Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 bow but thinking bout getting a 90 gallon but the 90 dimension are similar to the 72 bow its not that much off a difference 72 bow is 48 x 18 x 22 90 gallon is 48 x 18 x 24 should i just start my 72 over or buy the 90 ? Believe it or not the 72 bow is bigger then the 75 gallon in somebody on the forum told me to stock the 72 like a 55 they was wrong . 72 already setup all i have to do is buy a new filter c and cycle the tank and order my Mbunas

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Pnut said:
I have a 72 bow but thinking bout getting a 90 gallon but the 90 dimension are similar to the 72 bow its not that much off a difference 72 bow is 48 x 18 x 22 90 gallon is 48 x 18 x 24 should i just start my 72 over or buy the 90 ? Believe it or not the 72 bow is bigger then the 75 gallon in somebody on the forum told me to stock the 72 like a 55 they was wrong . 72 already setup all i have to do is buy a new filter c and cycle the tank and order my Mbunas
Footprint or surface area is usually most important, depending on what you're stocking.
In that case, a standard 75g (48x18x21) is better than a bowfront 72g (48x18x22) due to the bowfront's unusable floor space that extends forward past the sides, which are usually around 13", the same as a 55gallon. The 18" measurement is taken from the back middle to the front middle.
If it was my choice, I'd get a standard 75.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
But when you get down to it, the difference is not going to make or break it, either way. If I had one, I would use it. Trading tanks around is not worth the small gain, to me. To me the whole point is to enjoy what I,m doing. With the smaller footprint, I stock 2-3 fewer fish but enjoy them much sooner and much cheaper.

·
Registered
406 Posts
PfunMo said:
But when you get down to it, the difference is not going to make or break it, either way. If I had one, I would use it. Trading tanks around is not worth the small gain, to me. To me the whole point is to enjoy what I,m doing. With the smaller footprint, I stock 2-3 fewer fish but enjoy them much sooner and much cheaper.
+1, I think what you gain out of the 90 isn't worth the trouble of switching out the 72 bow. Now if you could pick up a 125g 6 ft tank, I would say go for it.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
While it doesn't take much to write about switching out tanks, It really gets to be a job to actaully do it! There is an amazing amount of work and figuring that needs to be done. And then it always involves the chance of missing some little detail and having the whole tank in turmoil for a month.

Add the 90 for a few months and then decide to keep both!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all y' all help Im going to use the Bow front [/u]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depending on where you have the tank, you might want to consider how the the tank looks.
The 90 is mor practical for all the reasons mentioned, but in a living room or family room, the 72 bow looks a lot cooler. Also, you already have the 72 bow.

(just in case you were thinking about changing your mind.) :p

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Get a 29 gallon instead...It's way cooler. O.k. April Fools! IMO, keep the 72 Bowfront and save for a 125 gallon...one day. You can never get a big enough tank. The 72 would be an awesome fry tank...when you get the larger one!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I appreciate all the help from everybody y ' all are great I'm going to go with the 72 because I already have it lol thanks so much for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts