Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

About 15 years ago I got rid of my last cichlid tank and have missed it ever since. Recently I bought a 70 gal tank to start all over and get back into the hobby. I have basic knowledge of aquariums but with all the new technology, I figured some outside opinions would ease the transition for me. So,

I plan on starting the tank with a canister filter (Fluval,Marineland,PennPlax?). Opinions or recomendations?

I have a hang on back filter but was not sure if i should use it. Do I need a protein skimmer as well?

What about reverse flow in tank filters? I read an article on a reverse flow filter to increase current and take care of the lower level filtration need without an undergravel.

As for a medium, I am leaning away from sand, but would purchase a fairly fine gravel. It probably would be black.

I will decorate with fairly flat local rocks that I will sanitize myself.

I am not going to worry about stocking options yet, I want to get the tank up and running before I get too ahead of myself. I do not have an established tank so any store bought cycling products anyone would recommend?

I know it is a longer post but thank you so much for all the help and guidance in getting me going. I appreciate all info and will keep you posted with my progress. Thanks,
steve

·
Registered
705 Posts
i like cascades. good and reliable. they may have a lower flow rate then prefered but toss in a power head sponge filter etc.. no protein skimmer if your just gonna do africans. sand really isnt much work. and overall its easy to keep clean. also consider your stock list before you go doing too much. providing the ideal areas and enviornment is going to be key to the long term of your tank. do your homework get the right stuff, then just sit back and watch the magic

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree you need to at least pick a lake before going much further. If you decide on malawi, the fine gravel would be fine, but if you are going the tanganyika route, I wouldn't recommend anything other than a sand substrate

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on doing a primarily Malawi tank setup. I enjoy the species a little better and have seen more of a selection of them over the other lakes where I live. I am limited in the sense that there is no pet stores withing about 2 hrs of me.

I have a basic setup in mind for the tank's interior, for now i am looking for advise on filters/lights/pumps/cycling. Thanks for all the input...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.