Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I filled my 135 up today and as it turns out the tank and stand are not on level ground. I live in an older house and the foundation im sure has shifted through the years. the problem is the water leans to the left side of the tank and i have to fill it up to the rim in order for the water to flow through the built in overflow for the built in wet/dry. Is there a way to safely level my tank and or stand to correct this? I had a piece of wood about 1/2" thick placed under the stand on the left side and that leveled it out ( i did this prior to filling it i had maybe 20 gallons of water in my tank) but that left a pretty decent gap between my stand and the floor and i removed the board out of fear that the long term stress of the weight of the tank would warp or break my stand. any ideas?

Jeff

·
Registered
482 Posts
Could get a piece of wood and taper it from half incur to zero so all sides have a shim under it if your handy with a circular saw that is

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. This was what i was thinking as well. I had a friend also suggest putting a large sheet of foam between the aquarium and the stand. The shimming idea will require less effort though due to not having to tank the aquarium off of the stand (which requires more man power). Thanks for the rapid replys!

Jeff

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 55g that i had to do the same thing. My tank was full so i had to trouble shoot. The base of my stand has no floor to i can see my flooring underneath. I propped up a car jack on some solid bricks and jacked the tank up SLOWLY on the one side like an 1/16th on an inch at a time until it was level. Then i placed LONG custom shims under the stand and removed the car jack. WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Keep in mind that the tank is basically supported at the four corners. The legs or sides are not compressible, so they carry all the weight. If you have a cabinet stand, it needs to be shimmed on the end to get the tank level, and then at any upright support. Anything else is redundant.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh nice Bill. Thanks. I did end up buying a piece of foam insulation and placed it under the gap the board i used to level the tank with. it turned out ok got my tank up and running and doing the cycle thing. Thanks for the input everyone!

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.