Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I converted a salt water tank back to fresh water. I originally bought all the material in the sump to set the tank up with Cichlids, but then went to a community tank. After owning a SW tank, I found the community tank was boring to look at

I ordered Cichlid sand , and will remove the blue gravel. The tank is only 6 months old, so I'll put all the biological media in the same tank water and store it there for several days until I fully drain the tank, remove the fish and give back to a LFS, and drop in the sand, let the water clear a few days, get everything up and running, and put the media back in was my thought.

Once the tank stabilizes I'll start adding Cichlids

I did buy this sand to start , as it buffers the PH :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1

Id like to keep the Decor, as I think it would look good and give some hiding spots and things to swim around

I know I'm limited by the dimmensions of the tank: 65G corner drilled Deep Blue, 3' wide, x 18" deep and 24" tall

Sump is 25G with 2 socks, Bio Cube , Bio Spears, Seacheam Matrix 1 gallon. I have a ton of bio media in the sump
Return pump is adjustable, as I'm running a Herbie Style drain, and 5 gallon ATO that last 2+ weeks with a glass lid on the tank

LED lights for Cichlids also on timer

What kind of Cichlids and how many would you recommned knowing my set up?

I was thinking Yellow Labs, Bluie Acei , and some other colorful Cichlids, but If I remeber those are Mbumba Cichlids?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
For acei you would want a tank that is 48" x 18" or larger. They are indeed mbuna.

You are very limited by the tank being 36". If you are locked in to mbuna, you could do 1m:4f of yellow labs.

Personally I would consider Tanganyikans. Six calvus and six caudopunctatus to end up with a pair of each.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm completely open to any Cichlids that would best fit a 3' long tank.

Would the sand I bought with the high PH be ok for a Tanganyikan tank ?

Instead of doing just 2 pairs of fish, could I do 2 of each and do several different types?

Also LFS sells mostly Mbuna and African Cichlids , so would I order these online? If I remember I live in Melbourne, Florida, I belive their was a specialty store that just sold Cichlids in Daytona, FL

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
The yellow labs will work, or the calvus and caudopunctatus. What are test results for pH and KH? Don't assume the substrate will change your pH or KH.

If you want a species of mbuna that has 2 colors and will work in a 36" tank look at Chindongo saulosi. Blue barred males and yellow-orange females. Try for 3m:9f but only one male may color up. Twelve fish in a 36" tank is not likely to work with other mbuna species however.

Many Tanganyikans pair up and drive out all the fish that are not in the pair. With the 2 pairs the tank will be full. African Rift Lake fish are territorial and it is a small tank.

I order most of my fish online and location of the vendor is not a factor in my decision.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help

I'll check the PH when I get home

I didn't buy a KH test kit,
I have them for salt water, but not FW.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking Mbuna's or African species as my first thoughts

But wasnt sure since my foot print is only 3'

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
Try the Chindongo. Do you have a rehoming plan for extra males?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry what do you mean for extra males?

Right now the tank is a community tank, no Cichlids.
I'm taking the fish down to the LFS
And we plan on putting down tile flooring in that room while the tank is down.

Then in.a few days once the tile is completed, I'll start the tank back up with Cichlids

There shouldn't be a cycle, as I'm going to use all the sump media and keep it in the same tank water in buckets for a few days

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
Yes those are saulosi. When your media is in the buckets, keep the filters running in the buckets...the beneficial bacteria need oxygenation.

Mbuna are usually sold as unsexed juveniles, yet they do best in groups of 1m:4f to prevent males from killing the females. So if you want 9 females, buy maybe 18 unsexed juveniles and rehome the extra males as they mature and/or cause trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.