Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, :)

I'm new here, but not totally new to fish keeping. At the moment, I have a 65 gallon tank that is on the home stretch of a fishless cycle.

My plan was to have 2 angelfish, a school or two of corys and some livebearers.
I'm not adding any substrate, but there will be rocks and plants(live or fake).

It's running 2 canister filters that have a combined gph of 700 gallons - just because it was going to be another golfish tank, but I've got a pond and tank of those already - I want something different. :)

Now, my question is that on LiveAquaria - the livebearers are listed at a KH of at least 10 and up. Angels and Corys are 1-5 & 2-12. That's a BIG difference.

How many of you successfully keep livebearers with your Angels and what do you keep your KH at?

Thanks,
~Charlotte

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It won't matter too much. If you really want your angels to breed, then you'll want to give them their optimal conditions. If you don't care and your local water isn't some weird extreme, you'll be a-okay.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My brother keeps them together and does not do anything special.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the guy at my lfs told me not to keep livebears with angels because of something called livebearers disease were the angel doesnt have a certain enzyme in its slime coat to protect it causeing them to die research it if you want but who knows you might get lucky and i kno some ppl hav gotten lucky in the past but its a hit or miss

·
Registered
86 Posts
the guy at my lfs told me not to keep livebears with angels because of something called livebearers disease were the angel doesnt have a certain enzyme in its slime coat to protect it causeing them to die research it if you want but who knows you might get lucky and i kno some ppl hav gotten lucky in the past but its a hit or miss

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iwishihadmorefish said:
I just researched this and it seems that the "Disease" isn't really a disease at all. It's a result of an electrolyte imbalance in the tank. It can be cured by adding

Livebearer Salt
or
Start right with Molly bright
or
Start right with Shimmy blocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.