Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, :)

I'm new here, but not totally new to fish keeping. At the moment, I have a 65 gallon tank that is on the home stretch of a fishless cycle.

My plan was to have 2 angelfish, a school or two of corys and some livebearers.
I'm not adding any substrate, but there will be rocks and plants(live or fake).

It's running 2 canister filters that have a combined gph of 700 gallons - just because it was going to be another golfish tank, but I've got a pond and tank of those already - I want something different. :)

Now, my question is that on LiveAquaria - the livebearers are listed at a KH of at least 10 and up. Angels and Corys are 1-5 & 2-12. That's a BIG difference.

How many of you successfully keep livebearers with your Angels and what do you keep your KH at?

Thanks,
~Charlotte

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My brother keeps them together and does not do anything special.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the guy at my lfs told me not to keep livebears with angels because of something called livebearers disease were the angel doesnt have a certain enzyme in its slime coat to protect it causeing them to die research it if you want but who knows you might get lucky and i kno some ppl hav gotten lucky in the past but its a hit or miss

·
Registered
86 Posts
the guy at my lfs told me not to keep livebears with angels because of something called livebearers disease were the angel doesnt have a certain enzyme in its slime coat to protect it causeing them to die research it if you want but who knows you might get lucky and i kno some ppl hav gotten lucky in the past but its a hit or miss

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iwishihadmorefish said:
I just researched this and it seems that the "Disease" isn't really a disease at all. It's a result of an electrolyte imbalance in the tank. It can be cured by adding

Livebearer Salt
or
Start right with Molly bright
or
Start right with Shimmy blocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.