Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now concluded I should get a larger aquarium. I'm looking around for a larger aquarium probably a 65 gallon because it will fit on the stand I have already. Pet Smart has a great deal on a Ensemble. But it is still more than I'd like to pay. I'm having a hard time finding a place that sells just the aquarium (brick & mortar & online businesses). I also tried criags list but there isn't any I like) lookin for suggestions where to find one ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 65 is a 3' tank right? I'd get a 55 or 75 (4' tank). Petsmart runs the 75 gallon ensemble for about half off a couple times a year. 55 gallons can usually be had at various chain stores on sale for $55 throughout the year

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Not sure what fits your stand but a tall tank isn't any big help with Mbuna, they need a longer tank, 4 foot 55g is considered the smallest option. They need room to get out of each others' way as far as territories, and you need some level of a crowd to make a community.

As far as stores goes, yes, the retail situation doesn't always offer much choice nowadays.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Plus three, skip the 36" stand if possible...taller does not give you more species to choose from or more individuals.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Plus three, skip the 36" stand if possible...taller does not give you more species to choose from or more individuals.
I found this online what do you think of top fin ?
Top Fin® 50 Gallon Hooded Aquarium $154.99

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I prefer Aqueon, but the dimensions are better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
I prefer Aqueon, but the dimensions are better.
thanks for the feedback. Do you have any opinion about the Aqua Culture 55 Gallon Aquarium sold at walmart?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DutchAJ said:
if you have a Pet Supplies Plus near you, mine is running the $1/gallon sale on Aqueon tanks and had 55 gallons.
Yes I do. You just saved me 100.00 !

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DutchAJ said:
jgrillout said:
DutchAJ said:
if you have a Pet Supplies Plus near you, mine is running the $1/gallon sale on Aqueon tanks and had 55 gallons.
Yes I do. You just saved me 100.00 !
Good to hear, hopefully yours has the 55 In Stock and is still running it too!
Well I went to pet supplies and it was on sale and in stock. BUT after adding up the cost of the stand, hood & light, the cost was too high compared to a great deal we found at pet smart. I got a 75 gallon ensemble (hood, light, stand) for 299.99. There was a small scratch on the stand so gave us an additional $30 off. So I got it for $269.00 !

I have a pump I use to drain my pool, I cleaned it up. I used it to transfer the water from my old tank. then put a 5 gal bucket in my bathtub put the pump in the bucket opened the facet and was able to fill the tank the rest of the way. Only took 5 minutes to fill the tank with the old water & new water. I put some chemicals in ran the filter overnight and put the fish in this morning. Looking Fantastic !

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's great, I have that same setup as well and like it. Good luck!

My next recommendation is to get a python for water changes, you'll love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.