Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this will be my first time in keeping cichlids.

I just finished the rock work and got the tank running. Now im gonna start cycling the tank.. so there is not much left to do except choose the fish for my tank and its proving harder than i actually thought. I had several ideas but eventually scrapped all of them.

About my tank:
Its a see-through tank with dimensions of L-35" B-20" H-19".
filtrations is by means of a hydor prime 30

So, im thinking of these fish:
Saulosi (2M:10F)
Red Zebra (1M:4F)

A couple of pics of my current setup:

this is the view from one side

and this is from the other sid

What do you guys think?
about the rockwork and the fish selection?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
In a tank this small, I wouldn't keep the Red Zebras... up the numbers of the saulosi a bit, and stick with them...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So lets say im going to do just saoulosi, can my tank accomodate 3 males so that will be 3 Males and 15 Females?

Or can I maybe replace the Red Zebra with something else?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes, in a tank that small, 3 males is actually better than 2....it will spread out the aggression more. You would be fine with 3-5 males and 10-15 females. I'd do something like 5 males and 15 females....that would be sweet! Saulosi colony tanks look amazing! Check this pic out
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/disp ... ?tank=2205

I have a 30 gal and I plan on doing something similar to you. I currently have 7 saulosi with 2 known males, the rest are too small to sex. I'm hoping for 3 males and then I can always up the number of females from the spawns! Good luck with the tank!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. That is an amazing tank. That certainly helped me decide to do a saulosi tank. Im also planning to add 3 syno multipunctatus.

Do you think i have enough rockwork? I would like to keep it simple and not do too much rock. i hope i will not have problems though..

·
Registered
448 Posts
taxxara said:
Wow. That is an amazing tank. That certainly helped me decide to do a saulosi tank. Im also planning to add 3 syno multipunctatus.

Do you think i have enough rockwork? I would like to keep it simple and not do too much rock. i hope i will not have problems though..
Really it's up to you. I think that your current set-up would be enough rockwork to suffice but you could always add a few peices if you wanted to. Each tank is so different from eachother that it's (personally) hard for me to say what is/is not enough rockwork. I'm actually getting ready to switch from rocks to Holey rock in all of my tanks!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll stick with what i have atm, then maybe adjust as necessary. Texas holey rock looks awesome.
I got my rock from the backgarden. :) The rocks are the perfect buffer, keeping my water at pH8 and gh 14 :)

Now I hope to get the fish sometime next week.. will post some pics when its ready

1 - 7 of 7 Posts