Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says, I'll be re stocking my 60 gallon here in about a week or so and wanted to see what all I could stock as far as malawi species go. I have been out of the game with them for some time now, mainly keeping new world cichlids like terrors and oscars. My question pretty much is on what species I could safely stock without a ton of aggression problems.

So far what I've got in mind is;

5-6 Blue Johanni (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos)
5-6 Yellow Labs (Labidochromis caeruleus)

In addition to that, I currently have a 4" Terror in the tank that so forth isn't much of an aggressor. I would like to hold onto him with the new stock list but I'm not sure if I can or not?

Any info/help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting back into the malawi scene :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fogelhund said:
What are the dimensions of this tank?
Dimensions are: 48-1/4"L x 12-3/4"W x 23 7/8"H

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ensorcelled said:
Fogelhund said:
What are the dimensions of this tank?
Dimensions are: 48-1/4"L x 12-3/4"W x 57-3/4"H
are you sure about the Height?

57"???

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edit:Corrected my above post. My apologies, it looks like the site factored in the tank with the stand. Just the tank itself in height looks to be about 23 7/8" if not darn close to exactly 24".

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I would look for an alternative to the Melanochromis in a 48" x 12" tank. Labs are fine. Terror I don't know.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
I would look for an alternative to the Melanochromis in a 48" x 12" tank. Labs are fine. Terror I don't know.
I see. Glad to hear labs will work in my tank however, Little disappointing on behalf of the Johanni considering I really do enjoy the beauty of the species; Either way, I'll live :lol:

As for alternatives, what would be some sound suggestions for an alternative?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any thoughts on pairing up Acei with Yellow Labs?

The revision would be

6 Yellow Labs
6 Acei

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yellow labs and pseudotropheus type work nice together! Saulosi are cool! Or even some Iodotropheus sprengerae rusties.. The combo's are endless. In a 60 gallon I think you can get away with a 2-3 species tank.. Yellow labs/saulosi/rustys 1 male/4 female of each..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm. I'm really liking what I'm seeing as far as the Acei go. Would I be able to still get away with 6 Acei paired with 6 Labs?

I'll be doing my first ever order of fish through www.Liveaquaria.com and as far as their stock goes Its a little limiting. I might be able to check out a LFS out here but last I checked, he was converting his store to pretty much marine only so we'll see.

I feel like I'm the guy that isn't doing enough research but I just want to make sure I get it right this time around :oops:

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
gatorbaiter said:
Acei get fairly big. I am a fan of cynotiliapia afra species especially jalo reef type. But just my opinion
I agree with gatorbaiter on the acei in the 48x12 tank. From the Cynotilapia family I like sp. hara and the females have a nice mid-blue color in lieu of the acei.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I think I've come to a decision on what I want to stock.

6 Yellow Labs & 6 Iodotropheus sprengerae "Rusty"

My only concern now is the fact that I'm not running sand as my substrate. I know its advisable to switch over but what I want to ask now is if I can still run my gravel and house these beauties with no negative effects.

The more I look, the more I want to switch to Pool filter sand but I'm not looking forward to doing yet another substrate switch out :?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Gravel is fine. I think you could add another species with that size tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts