Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

I am new to keeping cichlids and have a 60 gallon tank (48 x 12 x 23) with 2 80GAL HOB filters. I currently have 2 EBA's (pretty sure both male) in there with a school of larger danio. Im looking to rehome the danio as they were to help cycle but they've stuck around for the last 2 years and I'm ready to part with em. I'd like to keep at least 1 EBA but ideally both as I've sorta become attached by giving em names. Id like to have a peaceful/semi aggressive SA cichlid tank that could /ideally/ be cool with plants that are planted but im not against fish who need to have floating plants or those that can be tied to wood/glued to rock bc they mess with the substrate. I keep sand if that matters. I do have slightly harder PH at about 7.8 but I have read that as long as its consistent its okay (plz confirm). My EBA's are currently 2ish years old and about 3.5-4inches. I still consider myself an advanced newbie who googles so please nothing that will die if I make a small mistake. TIA!

*edit* i also lowkey fell in love with "bumblebee jelly catfish", anyone heard of these? 10/10 would keep one if they're logical in the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Well yeah, if ambush predators are your thing....
A 'Bumblebee Jelly Catfish', Cephalosilurus apurensis, will grow past 14 - 16 inches in length, and will readily consume just about anything it can fit in it's mouth. :eek:
And yeah.... I like those kind of fish too. But, those larger-growing/predatory species don't always work out with the plans you started out with. So, let's just say that the Catfish is in there - temporarily. 'Cause sooner or later that ol' boy is gonna get too big for keeping in a 60 gallon tank.
But, until then.... I'm guessing you want to replace the Danios with something else? Or not?
And, I personally would just keep the pair of EBA. I mean you like 'em - why not? So, you want another Cichlid (or two) to go with the pair of EBA. Something relatively peaceful?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stocking opinions vary so much and it's so inconsistent I have no idea what to put in there outside of the 2 EBA's. I am rehoming the danio beforehand. some people were acting like a 55 was tight for a pair of EBA's and then one dude on YouTube had 8 of them in a 40 breeder so I now have no clue how to stock this tank anymore. I'm not sure what other cichlids will happily fit/was sort of under the impression I could only have 2 decently sized fish hence wanting to keep both but being cool with 1. I'd honestly put 8 in here if I could.

Oh man okay that's not what google said

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
I - sort of - get what you're saying.
So, since you are apparently getting all kinds of different tank-stocking recommendations and conflicting input? Well, I'll just proceed as though this was gonna be MY 60 gallon aquarium. (based off of what I think are YOUR priorities!).
- All of the Danios are re-homed to somewhere else.
- The tank will then be stocked with 8 or 10 either Serpae or Black Widow Tetras. But, if I happen to see some larger growing (very nice looking) Buenos Aires Tetras? I will stock with them instead, at 6 or 8 individuals.
- or -
- The thought of stocking with those Tetras seems a bit lame. So, I've decided that I wanna add a relatively peaceful, additional Cichlid in there that won't go through my aquatic plants like an -all-you-can-eat buffet! A single Festivum Cichlid looks pretty good, Mesonauta festivus. But at the LFS, I saw an amazing looking (Central American) Nicaraguan Cichlid, Hypsophrys nicaraguensis. And wound up purchasing a single individual of that Cichlid to go with my EBA pair.
And....
- I will be keeping a close eye on the predatory, Bumblebee Jellyfish Catfish. If I notice that he is starting to gnosh on my Tetras (or going after the Cichlids), it will be time to move him into a different tank!
-
There. And, I hope this helps! It may not be how the recommendations you've received so far would have you do it.
Nope.
But that is how I would re-set and stock that 60 gallon tank. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts