·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of this:
6-Cyno. sp. "hara"
4-Labeo. trewavasae chilumba
4-Met. sp. "zebra long pelvic" Mdoko

Any other suggestions are welcome. I am really fascinated by most Met. zebra species/variants (especially ones with bars). Also, how many would you suggest getting in order to get a 1:3 or 5 male:female ratio of the species mentioned?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? 48" long?

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
I'd say the long pelvic and the hara look too much alike. A footprint of 48" x 18" will work better for labeotropheus, as well a ratio of 1m:7f.

Even for the metriaclima a ratio of 1m:4f would be preferable IME with the metriaclima.

To get 1m:4f I usually order 8 unsexed juveniles. That only gives you 50:50 odds though.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
All three of those species are on the aggressive side of the spectrum anyway, right?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
My experiences with the hara would be such that I'd call them mid level aggression, maybe even a bit less. I know others have had more aggressive experiences though.

The zebra long pelvic's I kept were the least aggressive zebra type I've ever kept.

I agree though, wouldn't keep the hara and pelvic's together though.

Which chilumbas? The blue or reds?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cantrel: the tank is 48"x15"
Fogelhound: i was initially planning on the reds.

Would it be better to only do two species so that There can be bigger groups, or even a species only tank? If i had to choose only one species I would want either Cyno. "hara" or some type of blue-barred Met. species.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Ok, so the hara are the top choice.

I would be tempted just to keep the hara and the trewavassae, and increase the numbers of each.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha...well im not sure that the hara are my top choice, I love the body shape/characteristics/attitude of species from the Metriaclima genus. Are there any in particular that you enjoy or have kept? (again, blue barred variants are my favorite)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also found these....

it's gotta be between them the Cyno. "hara" and Met. "zebra long fin" with probably the Labeo. trewavassae chilumba red.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
A lot would depend on the attractiveness of the females I would think...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Another great tie breaker for decisions like this is to try to find these fish locally or online with cheap enough shipping. I know I had a really hard time finding white top hara for almost 2 months. If they weren't number 1 on my list I would have gone with a similar looking fish that was easier to get a hold of.

Just my 2 cents for 'tie breaks" =)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, cdavitt! I'm thinkin the same thing as you, those haras are hard to find, but i found a provider who has both metriaclima pyrsonotos and metriaclima "zebra long pelvic"...decision decisions.....haha :roll:

·
Registered
201 Posts
or do what I did....make your choice, fill the 55 gallon. Then buy a second 55 gallon for the ones that didn’t make the first cut! lol

either way, good luck and post some pictures once everything is stocked.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I like all of the Metriaclima but if I had to pick only one, probably Msobo/Membe Deep

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya those msobos are sweet looking to, and the yellow females make them really appealing. What about met. chilumba? Would they be too big for a 4ft tank?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Would they be too big for a 4ft tank?
Single species? If not, how many others? Just the Hara? If just two - sure..

·
Registered
129 Posts
cody i could probably help u out with some local breeders here in SD area..i keep several species of cynos and other "dwarf" mbuna species.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts