Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could a group of Labeotropheus trewavasae or fulleborni work in a 60 cube 24x24x24? It will be scaped with alot of rockwork, and around 900gph filtration system.I know a 4' long tank would be better but want to know if its possible. Would like to keep at least two species of mbuna in their but mainly the labeotropheus...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Good advice above. Labeotropheus need at least a four foot tank that's 18" deep (75 gallon) to have enough room to thrive peacefully.

kevin

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I believe a 40 long is roughly 4'x12", while a 40br is 3'x18".

I have fuelleborni in a 40br but it is temporary just quarentine and growout until they get moved into the 125g tank.

In a 40L, I would think you could keep 2, maybe 3 groups of mbuna if you do the water changes required but I don't think a labeotropheus should be one of them.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I can only quote myself:

ridley25 said:
Good advice above. Labeotropheus need at least a four foot tank that's 18" deep (75 gallon) to have enough room to thrive peacefully.

kevin
Sure, you could raise 4 Labeo's in a 40 long and they could quite possibly grow to 6 inches and live out their lives in such a tank with some luck - they would barely have enough room to turn around when going front-to-back.

But why stock such a big and fairly aggressive mbuna in a cramped tank when there are some many other mbuna that would thrive in this tank (and so many other tanks in which Labeos would thrive?)

kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok ok. I have the chance to get a 75 gallon with the 48x18 footprint. How many of these bad boys could i get or other species to mix with the labeotropheus? Oh and filtration whats a good turnover rate for a lightly stocked mbuna setup i was thinking one eheim 2028? Along with a couple koralias for water movement. I really like these labeotropheus, if you couldnt tell

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
For stocking ideas and numbers with the fuelleborni in a 75 you can look here.

I'm leery of the fact that any Melanochromis is suggested for a 75 - I would also stay away from Metriaclima lombardoi (Kenyi).
Pseudotropheus sp. "acei" would be nice in this tank, as would most Cynotilapia, Labidochromis and Iodotropheus.
Any Metriaclima (estherae, msobo) could hold their own with the fuellis.

When it comes to filters, there's a guideline that suggest you want your water turned over 6-8 times per hour. This is not a hard and fast rule since there are a lot of variables at play; would you like a filter that turns your tank water over 8x but has a lot of bypass or one that does it 4x without the bypass? So media capacity and the and mechanics of the filter come into play as well. So check the GPH, media capacity and mechanics before you decide. But I'm thinking the 2028 with a powerhead or two should be fine.

I for one like to run two filters on my tanks for the safety of redundancy and lower risk to my bacteria colonies during cleanings.

kevin

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You could try lombardoi so long as you're on good terms with your lfs as far as trading in extra males goes, same with auratus.
Maingano, any elongatus would be good tankmates also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts