Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a used 6 foot 100 gallon tank - 72 x 19 x 19 - and it did not come with a top... and... it has no center brace. It's an old tank with really thick glass.

What could I use for a top? Any top I see in stores to buy would require a center brace or at least a "lip" to rest the top in - the way the top support is constructed, there's no "lip" area to set the top down into... does such top exist somewhere and I just don't know about it yet? Is there some kind of DIY project someone may be able to tell me about? (maybe I should check DIY section...??)

Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.

Kerby

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have the same situation. I'm getting a a new top custom made out of sheet stainless cut with a waterjet then bent with a bender. It will fit over the top of the plastic top and then mimic the traditional top that the glass fits in. Probably not affordable if you don't have free access to a waterjet, scrap stanless, and a bender thou :(

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I would think about a trip to a glass shop and have them cut you two 19" x 3" strips and silicone them to the top of the tank, front to back, for make shift center braces to provide a lip to rest three hinged glass lids on.
While you are there, might as well have them cut three 24" x 10" and three 24" x 9" pieces also. Then you can join two of each with a bead of silicone for a flexable hinge and rest them on top of the tank edges and your newly installed 3" center braces.
Hope that makes scence :D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You can also order just the hinge that is meant for the all glass tops.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoosier Tank said:
I would think about a trip to a glass shop and have them cut you two 19" x 3" strips and silicone them to the top of the tank, front to back, for make shift center braces to provide a lip to rest three hinged glass lids on.
While you are there, might as well have them cut three 24" x 10" and three 24" x 9" pieces also. Then you can join two of each with a bead of silicone for a flexable hinge and rest them on top of the tank edges and your newly installed 3" center braces.
Hope that makes scence :D
This makes sence... This is what I'm going to do, or try anyway... My 135 has a glass center brace, I'll add something similar... I'll have the cut 2 pieces 3" x 19" for each end, silicone from front to back to support the far left and far right side of each hinged glass top, then 1 piece about 6 or so inches x 19" for the center brace... I actually purchased glass tops to fit off e-bay, now can't use them, but with your idea, the glass tops I have should work perfect. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts