1 Male Afra 3"
1 Female Afra 3"
1 Unknown Albino Mbuna 3"

Can I overload with these Africans?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum ;)
Not sure what you mean by overload, however, it seems like you're doing mbuna in a 55g (48'x13'?).
Unless you're attempting an all male tank, your aim should be to stock 3 species with a 1male to 3 or more (preferably 4-5) females per species.
Mbuna are harem breeders, meaning there are multiple females who take turns receiving the male's aggression. A single female will become stressed. Stress leads to sickness and possibly death.
So. You'd be better of picking 3 species that will work together and going from there.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Are you 100% sure the sex of all your fish? If you haven't vented them (look at their sexual organs) or seen them hold eggs then it would be really hard to tell with some of the species you have just by watching and observing them.

First i would figure out what you are going for. Do you want an all male set-up (10-12 male mbuna) or a harem set up (1m 5f x 3 species)? Once you figure this out we can help you adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
All of those are dimorphic except the RZ, so they should be easy to tell...

The current mix is your typical "Petsmart/PetCo told me to just grab 8 random fish and they'd be fine!" set-up. Which will be fine for about 6 months. Then...

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
All of those are dimorphic except the RZ, so they should be easy to tell...
He could run into problems with the hongi, afras, and the unkown albino as well. Especially only having one of each fish (two with the afras but who knows if they are even from the same collection point). Hongi and afra females can get pretty vibrant and act pretty tough. The albino or the red zebra could go either way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-Thanks for all the replys! I think I am going to take the Red Zebra out.. So when i'm finished I want my tank to be filled with all of these.

1 Male Kenyi-
2-3 Female Kenyi
1 Male Chipokae-
2-3 Female Chipokae
1 Male Hongi-
1-2 Female Hongi
1 Male Afra
1-2 Female Afra
2 Unknown mbuna Albinos

Please comment or tell me if this woud be a fine or bad set up? Thanks again

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
GTZ said:
your aim should be to stock 3 species with a 1male to 3 or more (preferably 4-5) females per species.
And I certainly wouldn't do Kenyi or Chipokae in a 55gallon as they're far too aggressive for that size tank.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The chipokae may be the most aggressive mbuna there is. They also can get to be 8 inches long. Most would recommend keeping 1 male to 8+ females in a minimum of a 75 gallon tank. The same advice goes for the kenyi.

Your afra and zebra should be fine in a 55 but I think if you want to try and keep four species in a 48" tank you are definitely going to want more peaceful mbuna than chipokae and kenyi.

·
Registered
392 Posts
dkgoode said:
75 Gallon?
You could pick one or the other between the chipokae and kenyi and stock them one male to 8+ females, add one group of zebras 1 male: 4-5 females and then probably something a little tougher than an afra (they are notorious for not coloring up when the are the bottom fish in the tank.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Just be aware that you're planning to stock what are generally regarded as 2 of the most aggressive mbuna species in the same tank. I would for certain have a hospital tank on standby for any injured fish.
If purchasing as juvies (1"), stock in higher numbers than needed (12-15) and have somewhere to return extra males or repeatedly harassed females. You'll be able to identify them as they mature, they'll be hanging out up top in the tank or behind intake filters, heaters, etc.
With both species, I would aim for 1male for at least 6-7 females.
Not sure on housing the afra's with them as they're a 3" fish, perhaps someone else can comment.
You'll also want plenty of rock in the tank providing lots of caves and avenues of escape.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can kenyis and chipokaes ever live together in a 55 gallon tank. I really dont want to get rid of them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
dkgoode said:
Can kenyis and chipokaes ever live together in a 55 gallon tank. I really dont want to get rid of them.
They can be forced to live together by your choice for now while they are young but when they get mature they will not be happy. I'm in a similar boat as you. I have a 75g and can't decide if I want to go all male or create a harem. I think I have the worst mix of africans in his forum as I speak. There are so many great looking fish, I want them all! I will need to make a decision soon.

·
Registered
392 Posts
dkgoode said:
It's not impossible but in a 55 it's highly unlikely, especially at your stocking numbers and ratios. You won't have to get rid of them as the chipokae will most likely kill the other fish in the tank once it is a full adult. If you're lucky he'll give you some warning and you might be able to save the others, most likely you'll come home one day to one big nasty chipokae in your tank and a bunch of fish corpses. Good luck on your tank you've got a tough one on your hands.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dkgoode said:
[quoteGaFishMan1181
]"First i would figure out what you are going for. Do you want an all male set-up (10-12 male mbuna)"
Well if I was to try and do a all male tank could I keep the Chipokae or a Kenyi. Or will I need to get less aggressive Mbuna :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.