Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to do an all male peacock tank since i can remember and now (i think) i have a tank large enough to do it.

I've already removed my American cichlids, moving the wood this weekend and switching for some large rocks. Planning on doing 2 piles with some scattered between.

I was thinking that i could probably do somewhere in the region of about 5 male peacocks in a tank this size? Also planning on keeping my albino bristlenose and maybe getting a couple of synos for cleanup.

Hows this all sound?

·
Registered
554 Posts
The general feeling is that a 55 is too small for all male, and too small for most peacocks.

Wait for someone who knows better to respond, I'm a malawi harem person.

That said, they all need to look different. It might be worth getting feedback on your choice of species too, while you're at it :)

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Its pushing it but possible.
You need to go for the more peaceful smaller types like Aulonocara baenschi, Aulonocara hueseri, Aulonocara kandeense, Aulonocara saulosi, Aulonocara sp. "Yellow Collar" and mix with peacfull small haps like Lethrinops sp. "Red Cap" (Itungi) (very nasty to each other but not agressive with other fish), Nyassachromis eucinostomus, Otopharynx lithobates, Placidochromis electra

Kind of look through the profiles picking out stuff that stays below 6" pref 5"
Temperament: Peaceful
Conspecific Temperament: not important unless very similar to another you have gone for. Which will happen so for these max of Mildly Aggressive idealy Peaceful.

Avoid most hybrid Aulonocara (esp those with jacobfreibergi in em) some can be fine but you never know with hybrids what temprement you will get.

I used to breed Aulonocara hueseri in a tank smaller than that.

From your average LFS or even a good one its still going to be hard.
So many Aulonocaras are miss sold and will get too big and nasty.
Even saying that you will prob need to swap any that cause problems its not an exact science and individual cichlids do not always exactly behave in a predictable manner.

Good news is you need to go for at least 8! You need lots to stop any one from becomming hyper dominant. Almost a cirtanty with just 5. No way you can get 8 that all look very different so you are best going for 6 that look similar to spred any agro and two that are very different from the others.
Good luck.

All the best James

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You have received some good advice.
The stocking numbers depends what type of peacocks you plan to house in the tank. So what types interest you? Some suggestions that may work include the Baenschi, Ngara, Rubescens and Maulana. If you want color, I would avoid the Kandeense and Maylandi because they tend to do better in a species-only tank. I also recommend that you avoid the Jacobfreibergis and Lwandas because they grow large and are more aggressive as far as peacocks are concerned.

It may also help if you browsed over the profiles and cookie-cutter sections of the website.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/c ... .php?cat=3
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/q ... e_list.php

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on the advice given here, from my fish guys and my suppliers, i think i'm going to try the following

6 A.Saulosi if ic an find them, they're apparently hard to track down atm? or 6 A.Stuartgranti (a more blue variant, ngara pref)
1 A.Baenschi
1 A.Maylandi

Hows that sounding?

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you get 6 males of one kind, you will have 6 fish that look the same, so they will fight to be the most dominant. It won't work.

Here's what I have in my 55 gallon all-male Peacock/Haps tank as an example of what "might" work. Inhabitants are one of each:
Cobue
Ngara Flametail
Ruby Red
Benga Sunshine
Otopharynx Lithobates Z Rock
OB Peacock
Lwanda
Albino Ruby Red
Yellow Lab

They all look different and are pretty peaceful except for the Flametail that occasionally chases the OB peacock. They are all colored up except for the Cobue.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going for the 6 of one type under 24Tropheus' advice.

Thanks for the input Dego, I'm not looking to mix haps or Mbuna with these though, just want peacocks. Kind of a dream tank from about 9 years ago. Wanted to do it in the 125 but the GF had her heart set on an Oscar... and me being a gentleman... :thumb:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Dego510 said:
If you get 6 males of one kind, you will have 6 fish that look the same, so they will fight to be the most dominant. It won't work.
Agreed.
As for the advice, 6 peacocks (of the same color) will only heighten aggression in such a small tank. You'll also end up with only one dominant (and colorful) male out of the group.

If you want a blue variant, go for a Ngara/ Maulana/ Mbenji...

:thumb:

·
Registered
363 Posts
*Really* solid advice above. Good thread. :thumb:

Dego recommended adding a few non-peacocks into the mix. This a common practice and one that I generally recommend as well. The reason is that the biggest stumbling block is getting over the conspecific aggression (aggression between similar looking fish).

The problem with peacocks is that yes, there are a ton of different variants, but a lot of the variants are very close... too close to house similar males in a 55. For the most part, they're all some variation of a blue head plus some variation of red, orange, blue and yellow in the body. Since they're the same genus, they also have the same body shape.

For example - A benga, lemon jake and lwanda may look different enough to us, but to them, they are the same fish in a small-ish tank. They will almost certainly fight.

This issue is compounded when you rule out all jacobfreibergi peacocks from the mix. They makeup a solid portion of the color variations, but will be too big and aggressive for all males in a 55.

Because you're going to need enough fish to disperse aggression, you run into the problem of essentially running out of color combinations. That's why folks add a few "freebies" - non-peacocks that look totally different, but equal in color, size and aggression. It's nice to not have to worry about those guys getting into conspecific fights with the peacocks.

If you were actually setting up the 125 with peacocks, mixing in these "freebies" would be a necessity as there's just not enough color variations to stock enough different-looking fish in the tank.

You could always give it a shot and it may work for a while when they are small. Once they start putting on some size and color, I would think that you would run into issues.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This tank is obviously too small to be used as an all male tank. Maybe someday i'll get the big tank set up as Malawi.

Okay, so i read the cookie-cutter tank and its saying that i could do 9 fish in total, 3 species 1/2fm each.

Is that about right? If thats whats recommended then i'd probably do that. 3 different coloured males with their respective 2 females would make an awesome display tank too. If i chose 3 different looking smaller peacock trios would that be alright? Or would it be a better plan to mix in a smaller hap trio?

I wanna do this right. My last Malawi attempt ended really badly.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Peacocks crossbreed so you would want only one species in a tank if you want females.

Mbuna I would go with 1m:4f of most species and three species would work fine in a 55G (depending on the species).

Mixing mbuna with haps and/or peacocks is risky. Yellow labs mix well. Anything else might work, might not. I know I had a Cynotilapia sp. hara kill a stuartgranti peacock but you hear the occasional success story about mixing saulosi.

·
Registered
174 Posts
DJRansome said:
Peacocks crossbreed so you would want only one species in a tank if you want females.
In addition to what DJRansome said, I would add that female Peacocks can be difficult to differentiate species type when mixed. With multiple species of females and males, you'd have to question the fry's species from both the male's and female's side, if that makes sense.

In my 55 mentioned above, everything has been fine for a few month. Everyone is above 4'', too.

My personal suggestion....
If you want peacocks and worry about the tank being too small, why not do 4 male peacocks (Benga, Ngara Flametail, Cobue, Ruby Red), 1 yellow lab (sex doesn't matter since they are peaceful) and 1 OB peacock. Then I would add some bottomfeeders like 4 Synodontis Petricola (adds some activity to the bottom).

At the end of the day, it's your tank and you're the boss. You could try something out and if it doesn't work, have a separate tank available for the bullies or victims.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
24Tropheus said:
Its pushing it but possible.

Good news is you need to go for at least 8! You need lots to stop any one from becoming hyper dominant. Almost a certainty with just 5. No way you can get 8 that all look very different so you are best going for 6 that look similar to spread any aggro and two that are very different from the others.
Good luck.

All the best James
Thanks guys when I said similar I kind of meant blue guys that will fight a bit to colour up but not give the full violence of the same type.

As you can see its far from easy to get a mix of show Malawi cichlids in a 55g but its not impossible.
No females! You can go for a breeding tank in a 55g but that's a completely different set up.
Females will wake up the males territorial agression instinsts and give you major headaches in a tank this size.
One male and a bunch of females in this tank. Of one type is about it for breeding.
Or a show tank with about 8 males all differnt showing colour but limmited agression.
They all hybridise like mad so young will be of no value if you mix em.

Kind of what do you want from the tank breeding or show?

It is too small for both IME.

All the best James

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not looking to keep any fry from the peacocks. Hybridization is not a concern. Any surviving fry would be culled. Is that the only issue with the 3 species plan?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alternatively, could i pick my favorite smaller peacock, take 1male/3fm of those and 1m/4fm yellow labs?

Would that be around correctly stocked or would i still be able to maybe add perhaps a lone smaller hap male?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Regarding 3 species of peacocks, you would cull the fry but also you would have to keep the peacocks for their lifetimes without selling or giving away even the adult females. Once mixed, you would not be able to ID them for sale.

Yes you could do 1m:4f of three species one hap, one peacock, and yellow labs. Haps and peacocks also crossbreed, but if you will cull all fry no problem. Stick to small and peaceful on the hap as well.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You could try Taiwan reef steveni or hap 44 red fin as a hap. Taiwans are pushing it as they get 6 inches but a single male may work. Or you could try 1m 2f than have another species of peacock. And really you could have species that cross breed just don't save the fry, get a cat fish and let nature take it's course.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
mok3t said:
I'm not looking to keep any fry from the peacocks. Hybridization is not a concern. Any surviving fry would be culled. Is that the only issue with the 3 species plan?
No its not the only issue. Males are far more agressive with females in the same tank.
Two species in a 55g breeding is possible though if the males look very different.
Why breed if you can not say the young are pure?

Personaly I think in a 55g with no intentions of keeping young you will enjoy an all male set up far more than a tank with dull females.

You could go for a breeding tank if you go a small peaceful mbuna like Labidochromis caeruleus and a small peaceful Aulonocara like Aulonocara hueseri. One male of each and as many females as you can get.

Then you could even sell the young.

It is realy down to you.

A very atractive tank with 8 good looking fish. Or a tank with one good looking small Aulonocara and the rubbish looking females and a few good looking not too nasty or big Mbuna like Labidochromis caeruleus.
I reckon 1m:4f of three species one hap, one peacock, and yellow labs.is too much for a 55g but then I tend to be a bit on the if it did not work for me then do not recommend it side.

All the best James

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lets come at this from yet ANOTHER angle.

If i were to get say, 1M/5FM yellow lab and 3 Very different colored smaller male peacocks. Is this more likely to work out? It would look amazing....

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
mok3t said:
Lets come at this from yet ANOTHER angle.

If i were to get say, 1M/5FM yellow lab and 3 Very different colored smaller male peacocks. Is this more likely to work out? It would look amazing....
Yep cool tank and yep I think it would work. You could I think go for more than three if they are all different. Kind of look at a red small Vic too.
Good thinking.
Not that I have tried it but it is a thing I would take a pop at.

All the best James

1 - 20 of 29 Posts