Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow fishkeepers, im currently cycling my 55gal "Mbuna to be" tank.
Its somewhat decorated, however the tank dimensions leaves me with a Few questions/possibilities. As it not your normal size 55gal tank, but more cube like, its a higher than normal 55gal.

In order to best make use of what the tank offers, i was contemplating more or less piling rocks on top of eachother Up along the build-in background, thereby making lots of caves and "get-a-ways" for, say a nicer than average Mbuna, like the yellow lab.

But as i havent had such a high rockformation before, im really unsure if it would be a complete waste of time(and Money, as the rocktype in using isnt cheap!)

Will the mbunas even any caves sitting higher in the water column or just stick to the lower 1/3 of the rockwall nomatter what?

What experience do you guys have, when it comes to vertical tank/decoration usage of your mbunas?

Thanks in advance for any and all replys :)

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
Hi and Welcome to C-F!

Can you post the dimensions of your 55G tank since it is not rectangular?

I have rocks stacked 2/3 the height of the tank but they are not directly against the back of the tank or completely covering the back wall. I used a combination of medium to large rocks that are irregularly shaped and cantalope to soccer ball in size. I find the fish will move higher up in the water column and use whichever 'caves' they want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi deeda, Thanks for your fast reply. I was hoping that the higher rockformation would Seem reasuring and make the fish "climb" higher in the water column, and from your reply, it seems they do, which is perfect, thanks again.

The aquarium is in All fairness a 52gal(its a Juwel Lido 200), is 60cm high, 50cm deeb and 70cm wide.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I think your tank is too short lengthwise (27.5 inches) for a proper Mbuna setup unless you were considering doing a Pseudotropheus saulosi species only tank.

Maybe wait for some other opinions on stocking a tank with this dimension for Mbuna. It would make a nice size tank for some Tanganyika cichlids though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts