Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made the switch this weekend fron a 55 gal (48x13x21) to a 90 gal (48x18x25). My 55 was a little over 3 weeks into cycle, I switched everything, including most of the water, to the 90. The readings seem ok, still cycling. I have 3 cichlids that made the move and they are doing well. I also built a stand, came out pretty decent, will post pics later.

The 90 gal should be finished cycling in a week of so. I need some help making stocking decisions. Any suggestions welcome. I have 3 fish now, Iodotropheus sp.(Rusty), Melanochromis Johanni(Elec. Blue) and a Haplochromis Venustus. They all get along well. I have many caves made of lace rock and a canister and HOB filter. Thanks

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hi dmpjr,

Congrats on the upgrade, a 90 has so many more options than a 55!

Regarding this statement:
dmpjr said:
The readings seem ok, still cycling. I have 3 cichlids that made the move and they are doing well.
At the risk of coming off like a schoolmarm, they aren't doing well because of the simple fact that riding out a cycle exposes fish to dangerous levels of ammonia and nitrite. I too cycled with fish when I started out, so I'm not trying to make you feel badly. Just setting the record straight; the three fish you have might not live out a full life span.

Now, onto stocking options.

Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty) are a great species for almost any tank size. Although there are reports of psychos, they generally fall in with Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab) and Pseudotropheus sp. "acei" as some of the mellower mbuna. A group of 5 or 6 would be nice, with more females than males.

The same can not be said of Melanochromis johannii. You do have a 90 though, so if you are set on this species I would try for 1 male and at least 6 or seven females. This would mean buying 15 or so and pulling males, bullies and victims until there's one blue one and the rest are yellow.

Nimbochromis venustus is a bit of a big (and predatory) species for anything less than a six foot tank, but others have kept them in four foot tanks. I can't really recommend them, but if you wanted a group I would only keep three species in this tank. I would even say the same if you keep the johannii.

If you're willing to trade in the venustus and johannii you could easily keep four species of most mbuna in a 90. Check out the 75 gallon cookie cutter with the knowledge that you can bump the numbers a bit.

Hope that helps.

kevin

·
Banned
406 Posts
You sound like me. :D I started with a 55. I let it fully cycle (took me 3 weeks). Then I bought my fish and had them in there less than a week then I got a 90 gallon. I switched all my PFS / filter over to the 90 gallon and everything has been fine.

As far as stocking I dont know what you like. I wanted a somewhat peaceful tank so I went with yellow labs and peacocks. You should browse the profile section --> http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ and start looking at different species and compare them.

Good luck to ya~ :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am kind of worried about the Nimbochromis venustus, but he seems to be playing well with others, as of now anyway. My Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrate readings are zero today. I'll keep checking before I start adding more fish, but I think it's cycled. Already been through the major spikes.
I thought the Melanochromis johannii females were yellow. The woman at the fish store said I was wrong, she says they are are blue like the males.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
dmpjr said:
I thought the Melanochromis johannii females were yellow. The woman at the fish store said I was wrong, she says they are are blue like the males.
You are correct and she is wrong.
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (now classified as Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (commonly known as "maingano")) look very similar to M. johannii, except they are monomorphic, which is to say that the males and females look identical.

So it's possible to store sold you Maingono and not johannii...

kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts