Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again
Thanks to some research and plenty of reading on this forum , I'm hopeful I've avoided a war zone in my tank, as my early ideas really would've had this.

Was wondering what people's thoughts were for peacocks (6), Yellow labs (4) and Acei's(5) (all males).
Any other thoughts please free to comment , Also what do you think of the numbers? . Would it be safe (ish) to add another type ?. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
Hi Steve and Welcome to C-F!!

Cloudiness in a new tank is common and could be caused by a variety of things such as a bacterial bloom (normal), type of substrate you use, decor, etc.

What are the dimensions of your 55G tank?

What are you using for substrate?

Are you familiar with the cycling process before adding fish? If not, check out the Fishless Cycling article in my signature for the instructions. Also purchase an Aquarium Water Test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH at a minimum.

What brand and model filter are you using for this tank?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Deeda ,
Thanks for your reply.
The tank is a Rio 240, dimensions roughly 4ft x 18H X 16D. My substrate is 3mm coral sand.
Yes I have been reading up on the fish less cycle , had fish before , but never a tank this big. I'm not planning on adding any fish just yet , just taking my time deciding what to put in it when I can.
Edit just see you asked filtration, internal one , with upgraded pump from 600lph to 1000lph, also a Fluval 306 around 1100lph.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would not do all-male labs and acei. You could try 1m:4f of the labs...I would skip the acei in the size tank you have.

Then maybe 5 male haps and peacocks with the 5 labs.
Rubescens for red, maleri for yellow and cobue for blue. Then electra for bars and tetrastigma for a silvery blue/green?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
I would not do all-male labs and acei. You could try 1m:4f of the labs...I would skip the acei in the size tank you have.

Then maybe 5 male haps and peacocks with the 5 labs.
Rubescens for red, maleri for yellow and cobue for blue. Then electra for bars and tetrastigma for a silvery blue/green?
Once again thanks for the feedback.
Am I reading this correctly , labs clearly 5 (4F,1m) , then 5 male labs and haps. So totalling 10 fish?.
Just looked through the list , I'd be very happy with the colours. Some stunning fish there.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Yes you stock lower when all or some of the fish are all-male.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once again , thanks very much for the advise , much appreciated. Will save me many hours of pain (and for the fish) Love the stock list

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After much reading , whilst waiting for my tank to cycle. Also looking round my local fish shops, I've come to the conclusion that peacocks are going to be hard to find.
So I've decided to go Mbuna , stocking ideas .same set up as above.
I'm thinking :
Yellow labs 4 (3f-1m)
Rusties 4 (3f-1m)
Red Zebras (3f-1m)
Now I'd like 4 of the blue and black striped ones (sorry to be vague , but there seems loads of types, lines going down , not horizontal). Would cynotilapia Afra yellow be suitable with (3f-1m).if not one of the more placed types? , as I know these can be a bit aggressive.
Now I'm reading from loads of places , people saying stock anything from 10 to 28. I'm thinking perhaps 16 at most? . If I kept to the above? .
I'm just thinking from what I've read that these should be some of the least aggressive Mbuna.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
For a 55G think in terms of 3 species and 1m:4f of each.

I would replace either the yellow labs or the red zebras with your Cynotilpia zebroides (formerly known as afra) Cobue. Yellow labs and red zebras crossbreed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJRansome said:
For a 55G think in terms of 3 species and 1m:4f of each.

I would replace either the yellow labs or the red zebras with your Cynotilpia zebroides (formerly known as afra) Cobue. Yellow labs and red zebras crossbreed.
Thanks again for your input

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts