Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. New to cichlid keeping but not to tropical fish keeping.
I currently have:
20G - 1 Female Opaline Gourami, 7 Diamondhead Neon Tetra, 1 Dwarf Clown Pleco.
20G - 1 Female Opaline Gourami, 7 Black Phantom Tetra.
20G - 6 Angelfish Juvies, 4 Panda Corydoras Juvies.
55G - 3 Angelfish, 3 Clown Loaches, 8 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 15 RedEye Tetra, 3 Albino Bristlenose Plecos.
55G - Empty - Waiting for Cichlids

I am setting up a new heavily wooded 55g tank and would like to know what the best combination of Cichlids would be to add to it. I will be getting German Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams and Albino Bristlenose Plecos to go in it. Apart from that I would like to know what other tank mates i could add. I would like to avoid tetras as i have various varieties of those in multiple other tanks. I would like to try and find some larger Cichlids to add to the tank that would Be compatible with the smaller rams. Kribs would also be another type i would like to add, as long as they are compatible (read mixed opinions on this). I would really like opinions on what types of fish i could add. Hearing from someone with personal experience is always better, as i have read a lot on the Internet, but it does not compete with personal knowledge.
Any and all opinions will be considered. Thank you in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
My first concern would be mixing the two ram species. Basically, Blue rams do much better at higher water temperatures in the low to mid 80's farenhieght. Where as Bolivian rams do well in water temperatures in the mid 70's range. If you try and compromise you are likely to stress both species and would likely see shortened lifespans from both.

Blue rams also require very clean water, soft water, while Blovian rams are a little more tolerable of wider range of water conditions.

I certainly would not consider keeping much more aggressive pelvicachromis species in the tank.

As for larger cichlid species. Angels or festivums are two possible tankmates with Bolivian rams. You could also look at some other dwarf species as well, one of the dwarf acara species or possibly an apisto species.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.