418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
55g

-11 dems ~2-2.5"
-1 m RZ ~3.5"
-1 f RZ ~3"
-1 ? RZ ~2.5"
-1 m Ice Blue (boss) ~4"

I am led to believe that many of the dems I picked up are female. Some of my dems have nipped fins, which i would just assume is a conspecific issue, although after watching the tank it looks like the smaller RZ of unknown sex is the one chasing down all the dems. This fish will be removed from the tank.

My Ice Blue is beating up my female RZ. I would just remove him as well although after i segregated him in a breeder net for a couple days, the tank became real skittish... which makes me afraid to permanently remove him. I dont want a bunch of skittish fish and i prefer to keep atleast the two RZs which have previously bred.

What should be my next step in regards to stocking? I want a long term viable solution and prefer to keep atleast 2 species...

·
Registered
625 Posts
You could add more dems and bring it up to 20, then bring up the rz's to 5, and then keep your tank boss.

I have an M. zebra male who is the largest in my take with 3 other species by himself as well. He has a great personality and really keeps the peace.

I think your stocking is fine, your numbers just need to be built up, as I continue to get closer to the right ratios in my tank I've noticed the fish acting more natural and happy.

Also, if you made the video in your signature, that was one of the first videos I watched that made me really want to start breeding cichlids and exploring the finer, more subtle nuances of keeping them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JoelRHale said:
Also, if you made the video in your signature, that was one of the first videos I watched that made me really want to start breeding cichlids and exploring the finer, more subtle nuances of keeping them.
Happy to hear that. I wish I still had those venustus'... it was a beautiful pair

Here's one of the offspring:

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I'd take out the ice blue (Metriaclima grashakei) and build up the groups for Demasoni and Metriaclima estherae.

·
Registered
625 Posts
limpert said:
Here's one of the offspring:

Very pretty, once I have a 6' tank I'm strongly considering an all male set up with one of those as a definite, no question about it inhabitant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts