Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at adding a strip of LED Moonlight effect on my 55G..

any thoughts experience?

Do you just leave this on at night? All night?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've seen a lot of variance in the intensity of moon lighting. I have built in moon lights in my light fixtures. They're very weak and only allow enough light to see shadows, not really watch fish. I just leave them on all night for the visual effect. On the other hand, some light the night up much more. I think if I had one of those, I'd not leave it on all night, but depends on the fish and how they behave once the tank switches to the moon lighting. If they behave as if it's night and go off to find cover or whatever they do, then I'd not worry about leaving it on all night. If you've got nocturnal catfish you want to watch, then you might just leave it on for a couple hours at end of day so you can do that. No absolute right or wrong here, I don't think.

·
Registered
746 Posts
jlm86 said:
Looking at adding a strip of LED Moonlight effect on my 55G..

any thoughts experience?

Do you just leave this on at night? All night?
I have 2 strips...........one has 3 separate pieces connected by wiring and the other one has 2 separate pieces. Both moonlites are on my 180g 6 foot Oceanic tank and they sit directly on the glass tops.

I bought both from digikits.com. and have had them for several years. I have both connected to an auto-timer that comes on about 6:30am until 6:45am. I have 2 3' Marineland Double Bright LED lites that come on from 6:45am until 8am. The MDB's come back on from noon until 1pm and then back on again from 7pm until 10pm. My moonlites come back on from 10pm until 12:30am. All my lights are on auto-timers.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts