Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time Poster. I have been in the hobby for about two years and I have been keeping a cryptoheros sajica mating pair with some other common community fish. They have even spawned a few times for which I set up some breading tanks. It was fun but the tanks are coming down and its time to do something new.

My question for this thread is about a 55g mbuna tank I was planning. I will be filtering with a Fluval 304 and large eheim canister filter from the 80s (left over from when dad was in the hoby). I was thinking of stocking with five Labidochromis caeruleus, 5 Iodotropheus sprengerae, and 5 Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" as juveniles and then working for a 1-4 M:F ratio. From all my research it seems that this would be a very good starting mbuna colony. Is this correct?
What would you change about my setup?
Is this too overstocked or understocked for my filtration and aggression?
Are their any other mbuna you would recommend to an mbuna beginner?
Whats your favorite mbuna?
Any tips from past experiences?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

3 species with 1m:4f of each is a good stocking, but I would skip the acei in a 55G as it matures > 6 inches.

Consider Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue for your 3rd species, or Pseutropheus socolofi if you want to stick with the solid blue and colorful females.

What is the total GPH of your two filters? Shoot for 8X to 10X gallons per hour turnover.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're going to get a ton of options and opinions. You can't go wrong with the yellow lab and rusty... I agree the Acei will outgrow. Yellow Top Mbamba look nice along with those 2 and they don't get all that big. I have all three in a tank together. The Mbamba are fun and pretty when colored up. Also you will want a 75G and more of them soon so be careful. :0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'll look into those. I have a 120 that would be perfect because its 4'x2'x2' but I have other plans for that one.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
If your goal is 1:4, then you'll need to start with more than five. Play the odds. If you buy 8, you'll have a 50% chance at 4 females. I like buying in groups of 10 for less aggressive species, and 12-15 for species with a rep for being very aggressive.

Yellow top Mbamba is a Labidochromis, so I'd skip them with Yellow Labs. Similarly colored are the Cynotilapia Zebroides 'Jalo' but a stickier build. Take a look at Cynotilapia sp. Hara.

My favorite are Cynotilapia Zebroides 'Cobwe.' A good fit for a 55.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You should be fine with the Labs, Rusties, and Acei in your 55.

I run a Fluval 306 packed with Hydroton, Ceramic rings, floss, and Purigen on my 55 gallon Mbuna tank with 20 fish that range in size from 2-3" and it is more than enough filtration.

These fish will breed and do just fine at a ratio of 1:3, so once Acei mature, you could always re-home a female from each species to balance out the bioload if necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts