·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to really stock my 55G up..
Have 2 seasoned filters:
Aquaclear 110
Eheim cannister

Have algae pretty rapid on glass in front, and i think i might need to be doing more water changes...

Lately have been doing about 20% every 8-9 days or so....

Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
50% weekly is a good starting place. What is your nitrate test result?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm using some dip sticks, and don't really see any nitrates "pink" on pad, but something seems to be driving this brown algae on front glass?
Have 2 plecos that won't touch it..

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Brown "algae" isn't really algae at all but instead it is diatoms. Diatoms seem to grow for a couple of months on new tanks and then just disappear. They are soft, harmless and easy to wipe off. I usually just put up with them. My snails and plecos don't eat it either. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 240L (64G) fairly well stocked tank. I was doing 30L a week and the strip tests showed me the nitrated were acceptable, although was still getting quite a rapid growth of algae.

I invested in a proper nitrate test kit (tetratest nitrate) and the results were amazing. The nitrates were in exceedance of 50ppm! My water changes had just been too small and the levels slowly building up. I immediately did 50% change and WHAT a difference, the water was clearer the fish more colourful and lively.

Moral of the story- don't rely too heavily on test strips, invest in some proper test kits that test the water in a vial. Plus it makes you feel like a mad professor!

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ps The only real way to work out how much water change you need to do is:

Buy a quality test kit then test the water before every weekly water change. If you see the nitrates are slowly creeping up despite your water changes you now know you need to up the size of your water changes. A good way to work out what is a suitable water maintenance programme for your individual tank with its unique stocking level.

Ian

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I agree you should change water when nitrates get too high, even if that is more then 50% weekly. But since nitrate is just an indicator and not the only toxin being removed, I still think it is a good practice to change a good portion of the water weekly, even if your nitrates are zero.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Good advice from DJRansome. Doing the minimum is seldom good practice; clean water is the key to successful fishkeeping. If algae is a problem reduce the lighting time. Water changes will not prevent algae if you have too much light.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I just wanted to add in one cautionary note on water changes. When you have good quality water, that is similar to your aquarium parameters 50% water changes are ideal. Some people do not, and such a water change, could induce shock. If you haven't done such large water changes before, work up to 50%, to ensure that you don't shock your fish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
how long are you leaving your light on for and is your tank sitting in bright room that gets a good amount of sunlight?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.