Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

So here is my situation. I have a full grown male Red Empress, Yellow Lab and Pearlmut.
They are currently all seperated in their own tanks. I need to make room in my place and need to consolidate these 3 guys into one 55G tank. Yes, 55G is on the small side but I NEED to make it work(space and cash restraints) through choosing the correct tank mates and number of fish. I cant unload these 3 guys because they have been with me a long time.

Tank will be filtered by an AC 300 and Emperor 280. I have a generous amount of lava rock for this tank.

So, lets hear your suggestions as far as number of fish and what species to add with my three guys in my 55G.

thanks

M

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey, I don't really have any experience, but what I would suggest is probably just sticking with the 3 species you currently have. The yellow labs and pearlmutts are mbuna, so slightly more aggressive, but they are less aggressive than others. How many of each do you have right now?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
What size tank is the RE in right now?

This kind of comes down to the question of whether you want your fish to be happy or whether you want to be happy. A 9" RE will not be happy in a 4' tank.

If you want to add more fish, I'd suggest small haps/peacocks. Your YL and Perlmutt shouldn't cause them too many issues, but keep an eye out.

·
Administrator
41,832 Posts
Agree it's not the right tank for an empress. But if there is no option then I would probably keep the empress solo and do breeding groups of the labs and perlmutt. No fry from this tank for sure.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
What size tank is the RE in right now?

This kind of comes down to the question of whether you want your fish to be happy or whether you want to be happy. A 9" RE will not be happy in a 4' tank.

If you want to add more fish, I'd suggest small haps/peacocks. Your YL and Perlmutt shouldn't cause them too many issues, but keep an eye out.
The RE is in a 32 gallon right now.
My RE has maxed out at 6 inches, he is about 7 years old. Perlmutt is at least 10 years old and a solid 4 inches, he is old but still an active little bugger!

I will give it a shot and see what happens. Better in a 55G with me than back to the LFS and off to certain death when some kid brings him home and puts him in a 10G.

M

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kanorin said:
Are they all males?
yes, RE, Yellow Lab and Perlmut are all males and all full grown and between 6 and 10 years old.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
look at this 55G....how crazy is that!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.