Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've consulted the cookie cutter as I'm still pretty new to cichlids... and still not sure what to do...

I have a 55 gallon tank with 8 yellow labs (lots of rock work, etc...) My plan was to add a bunch of Demasoni and eventually a few Acei's...

Well, I have a friend who has two Metriaclima Esterae (red zebra), one male, one female he needs to get rid of... and wants me to have them... hmmm

Could I add the two red zebra's to my lab tank and still add the demasoni and acei's... OR should I start another 55 gallon tank and put the red zebras in that and then start another community tank? If so, what have people been successful keeping with red zebras???

These two Red Zebra's are about 4 inches long... my labs are about 2 inches long... I haven't gotten the demasoni or the acei's yet...

My last option is telling him to take the two red zebras to a local fish store and see if they'll give him store credit... I have an extra 55 gallon tank in the basement, but my plan was to make it a mixed male peacock tank eventually... of course, I could always go out and buy yet another tank... (fish keeping addictions are costly)

Thanks for any advice, I do appreciate it.

Kerby

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have in my tank red zebra, labs, and did have an acei at one time they got along fine. However, I don't know if the demasoni would be an okay fish to add to the mix. I have kenyi in my tank however, and they are super aggressive cichlids, so I would say if you keep the demasoni in the right numbers, and get them on the smaller size, it may work?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I'd stick with the three species...labs (8), acei (6) and demasoni (15) and call it stocked. The red zebras can mix with these well, but you would need 1m:4f and I think that would be overcrowded. Plus the zebras and labs hybridize so you would not be able to save any fry.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
steveangela1 said:
Btw pretty rockwork in the back!
Thanks... the moon sand was not the cheapest option, but really worth it - I love the look too - and the rock all came from Menards... landscape stuff - but the labs seem to like the hiding places... Aquascaping is one of my favorite parts...

DJRansome said:
I'd stick with the three species...labs (8), acei (6) and demasoni (15) and call it stocked. The red zebras can mix with these well, but you would need 1m:4f and I think that would be overcrowded. Plus the zebras and labs hybridize so you would not be able to save any fry.
DJRansome, I think you just made my decision for me - I'd like to attempt to keep fry, just to see if I could do it - and not that I despise hybrids, but I really don't want to be responsible for adding to the hybrid population...

I do like these Red Zebras... they're cool looking fish - this friend of mine has them in a 30 gallon tank, they may both be females, I'm now not sure... I may keep them in that tank for a while until I get another 55 gallon set up, then who knows what I'll keep with them... any suggestions for what goes well with them are appreciated.

Thanks!!

Kerby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.